Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #31

bahadir

.................................................. ........................

Hercules wrote:
Quote:
Hard to utter abold judgement indeed.... Ah, your observation on the 'Keramidia' or 'Kiremit' in my mother tongue and the trees also seems correct to me. Yet it is the foreground, the asphalt and the poles, as well as the background of mountains and distant apartmentswhich looks more dimensional and well exposedon the S70's .Still, I could say that; when the partial metering is used at M mode and the in camera sharpness is increased one stop at the parameters, I generally find the straight from the camera results of 300D somewhat more 'lifelike' thanmy good oldS70.

Btw, how about a furter S70 and A620 comparison??:G

Yes you are right about the mountains, distant apartments were they at the exact same settings. But the S70 picture looks way more dull, and the 300d is sharp. So a comparison S70 and the A620 (let's get it on)
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Yet it is the foreground, the asphalt and the poles, as well as the background of mountains and distant apartments which looks more dimensional and well exposed on the S70's
Part of this is most certainly due to the depth of field, where the shorter focal length on the P&S is able to better focus the background and foreground.

But yes, that is why I think I preferred the S70. Though I do think Hercules is correct about the colors of the building (walls and roof) and trees in the center being more accurate in the DSLR.

But I think I was more interested in those beautiful mountains than in the main subject.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:54 AM   #33

This has been a very interesting post / thread, which I've followed and read with enjoyment (also all the words you've all contributed).

I'll justquickly comment on the last 2 photos / comparisons. As bahadir said (there) that (this time) he did some PS (including shadow / highlight adjustment, USM) I think that also affects things a lot. Post processing does include a new set of a large number of variables. for example the highlights on the S70 seem almost (if not) blown out (e.g. whites on the buildings), and this might explain the more visible background mountains.

I like the colour and generally the contrast from the Canon 300D (DSLR) photo better than the S70 in this (last 2 photos) case.

It's very hard to judge between a point and shoot vs a DSLR in any way (depending on lens, shooting style (in camera processing) and many other things. I can certainly usually get better photos from my DSLR (Canon 350D / XT) vs my P&S (Fuji F601) in most situations, especially if I do a bit of post processing. With my XT set at "max constrast, sharpness," etc it gives very reasonable results for sharing directly (but not quite as "bright / colourful" as my P&S "straight out of the camera".

With a DSLR however, there is SO much more latitude for processing and lower noise, speed compared to a P&S.

Bahadir, you've done a good job and I think made quite an interestingcomparison and makes people consider whether A. they should buy a DSLR over a P&S (if all they want is "nice out of the camera" shots), and B. if they want to take a P&S (due to convenience / size / weight) - decent to GREAT shots are more than possible!

I would certinally like to see a S70 vs A620 comparison though... let us know!

Cheers all!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:23 PM   #34

kenbalbari wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yet it is the foreground, the asphalt and the poles, as well as the background of mountains and distant apartments which looks more dimensional and well exposed on the S70's
Part of this is most certainly due to the depth of field, where the shorter focal length on the P&S is able to better focus the background and foreground.
I am not surethat could matter if you focus on adistant object with both the foreground and background are on the infinitiveedge of the lens. Does it?

Quote:
But I think I was more interested in those beautiful mountains than in the main subject
Which is quite understandable since I posted that shot entitled 'Bad architecture' :lol:

Btw, thank you so much for your appreciation and your great contribution !

.................................................. .................................

Paul, you seem to haveabstracted the topic precisely, indeed. I was not after comparing two systems but two machines on the grounds ofmarginal utility, which could be bought once onlyfor some people regarding theirbudget.

Thank you for your insightful comments and the encouragement for the next comparison!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote