Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:13 PM   #1

I just posted this raw for comments, no PP.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2

Like a painting.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:24 AM   #3

Gallatin, you've captured a beautiful piece of gegraphy without question.nevertheless, just a touch of trees with brown leaves on the right ( about 2/3 to1/2 of the present one) would suffice IMO. More of it tend to steal from the georgeous mountain at the background. Well done..
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:47 AM   #4

Gallatin that is a really nice Raw. Well done.
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:01 PM   #5

Thanks lesmore!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:42 AM   #6

Hi Gallatin - I think it does need PP, it is lacking "pop". Contrary to what a lot of photographers think, PP is a very necessary part of digital photography [ Not saying this of you, it's just an observation]. Somehow there is a perception that if one does not have to PP a shot, we have accomplished something, whereas, it is a fact, that the more advanced one goes into digital photography, the more one has to learn to PP. in fact Canon's "upper level" of cameras are designedso that you HAVE to PP, it's only at the bottom end of the scale that one would expect the camera to do theprocessing for you [and that is done at the cameras built in software's discretion, not at the photographer's]

It is a great shot BTW, I like the compostion, I like the orange leaves on the trees, the sage or grass in front, and of course, the mountain with snow is fantastic. Lots to look at and enjoy !!

I did my own edit of the shot, just using levels, and it really looks good !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments jake! I have to say I come from the field of view that "less is more". I do agree with you that DSLR's give you a "blank slate" and require you to PP. But I really believe in a philosophy of showing what was actually seen when the image was taken. I see alot of nature photographers turn a natural ("thats what it looked like when I was there") scene into what looks like a graphics design project ( especially with the current rampant overuse of HDR blending). In this image, it was stormy and incredibly grey out. Tampering with the levels too much makes it look like a partly cloudy day - which it wasn't at all. That said, I would love to see your PP version. I posted the picture so I would receive comments on PP.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:16 AM   #8

Quote:
I see alot of nature photographers turn a natural ("thats what it looked like when I was there") scene into what looks like a graphics design project ( especially with the current rampant overuse of HDR blending).
True, I recently looked at a site with international photography awards, and I have to admit that, although they were impressive, they seemed very "unnatural".There are many views on this subject, and I do believe that they are all correct, depending on who you are and what you want to do.

I only used a bit of level adjustment for your shot, and in my opinion only, it is better than the "as was" shot.

Best Regards from SA

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 1:29 PM   #9

While I see what your saying about not overdoing things, I agree with Bob that the image needs PP. Take a look at http://theonlinephotographer.blogspo...or-camera.html to see what other people think on this issue.

The trouble is: only you know what it looked like on the day, only you know the feeling that you want to produce. To me at present the image is too neutral and lacks that feeling. Don't get me wrong it's definitely in there somewhere! It just needs to be brought out :-)

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #10

Gallatin,

I hope you don't mind, but I have some edits to post: just messing around really.

First off a basic levels adjustment: tightened up the highlights, and moved centre point to the right (more "bang" in the mid-tones).
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote