Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:38 AM   #1

Hello all!

Well, here is my 2nd series, some general shots of the type of scenery around south west Greece (near Pylos) where we stayed for our honeymoon.

Comments and feedback more than welcome!

#1 the little township of Pylos, the nearest town to Gialova, the village where we stayed. This photo is taken from a beach at Gialova. On many days everything (shops / markets even some pharmacies) seemed to close from 15:00 (3pm) onwards, like a siesta, but nothing reopened... though of course cafes were open well into the evening. Very relaxed place.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:41 AM   #2

#2 and then looking back over the bay from a cliff near Pylos towards Gialova direction.

Only the first two days were cloudy (a bit of rain), still that's good as clouds can also make strong impressions on landscapes. I especially like it when the sun is shining from behind and yet clouds are in view (as in this photo).
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:44 AM   #3

#3 - this is me at Methoni (another smalltown just south of Pylos) sitting at the end wall of a fortress there. (I'll post more "proper" people photos... mainly of my wife of course .... in the members & family section of Steve's forumsometime soon)

I just love how the mountains meet the sea for such beautiful scenery (reminds me of much of Tasmania's coastline where I grew up!)
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

#4 - this is actually a view from a beach towards a nearby mountainous island (in the foreground, right) and Pylos is in the background, left.
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5

#5 and finally for this series... a week later, a slightly different position and angle (of the same island / scene in #4) and this time using a polariser, which you can see is a great help in capturing fantastic skies!

And I just loved the sky that day, wonderful white whispy clouds again a deep blue background!

And this photo was taken with the humble kit lens of my Canon 350D / Xt (the 18-55mm lens)... just proves (to me at least) that even a kit lens can produce decent results..

Hope you enjoy all these. More series to come later..

Do feel free to give you comments and suggestions, thanks!

Best regards to you all.

Paul

Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:30 AM   #6

Hi Paul, congrats on your wedding, looks like you had a good honeymoon !

I really like the compostition in the second one, very interesting, and as you say, there's good skies in those too

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:41 AM   #7

Hello John,

Yes it's good to be back (but boy, I do miss the Greece weather and beachside life!).

Thanks for your congratulatory comments.

Glad you like the 2nd photo. That's probably my favourite one of the bunch too. It worked out well (and using the kit lens again too, shows the best most expensive equipment isn't always needed for great shots!)

I love the way the clouds interact with the sea and how the waves seem to form a pattern pointing to the centre of the photo, where the "pay for a view" monocular (scope?) is pointed.

All in all, I was glad with the composition and colours.

And I like how the old monocular thing (it's not a "binocular is it, because it only has ONE lens!) which was quite old (or at least old looking) with brass eye piece, etc has a "1 Euro" symbol stamped on the plate where you put the money. Sort of mix of old and new (to me at least!) Because I think Greece has only had Euros for the last few years.

Paul
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:41 PM   #8

Eye pleasing composition in the second shot, Indeed. You've successfully conveyed the relaxing atmosphere of the beach side lifeStill, I wonder why the images seemed a little noisy to me:?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:10 AM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Eye pleasing composition in the second shot, Indeed. You've successfully conveyed the relaxing atmosphere of the beach side lifeStill, I wonder why the images seemed a little noisy to me:?
Hi Bahadir,

Glad your eye was pleased with the composition of photo 2... it's still growing on me as a good shot.... though not too much fine detail gets missed by it, does it!

There is indeed a bit of noise (more than should be / could have been). The reason is manifold... one is that I used my laptop screen to do the edits / post processing (which doesn't show noise so easily) the other is that I didn't use a very systematic work flow (and I triedsome new / variousmethods post processing for interest, but didn't always revert back to the original version for the final "web version" of the photos i.e. these uploads!) Thanks for being so attentive!!

Paul
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:48 PM   #10

Pj,, looks like you put your 350d to work they are pretty good shots, especially the 2nd shot as everyone noted.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote