Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Another 360 stitch up, 20 vertical images, lots of patience :-)

Hope you like it,

John.

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:51 PM   #2

That's great! Nice job!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

That's again a great panowork from you, John! You make one fall in lovewith that part of the landscape...I see some blown clouds in the middle but not an important issue in the overall success of the job.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:51 AM   #4

Wow John,

Amazing! Lovely! Splendid! Great smooth colours, flowing landscape, greens, blues, etc... terrific job.

Having done some 360 degrees panos myself, I know the hard work it takes. But you've done it (I could almost say mastered it!) so well (again) with this one! Congrats on the effort.

As Bahadir noticed (and I also observed) some clouds in the middle have blown highlights, and the sky intensity differs... but I know this is (probably / basically) impossible to avoid where the sun (or light sky) is in one part of the panorama.

I love the job you've done on it. I took a few series of photos while in Greece to create some panoramas which are in my "panoramas folder" (which means photos to work on stitching them together).. They are mainly 3, 4 or 5 photos stitched together but if my memory serves me well I also have a series of about 10 or 12 photos to make a 360 degrees one too.

Not that I expect to match your wonderful effort... but you've inspired me to at least try.

thanks for sharing!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

ooooooooh nice

its possible to overcome the blown bit of sky but why bother? it would look like that if you where to turn 360 degrees, so id leave it alone.

just one comment john, i think you should have made it so the hill with pathsand rocks at either end was in the middle(ish) , i cant say why but fell it would change the balance and give it a better focal point than that lonely tree?

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6

Very nice, great job !!

I love the colours and the sky a lot :-)

Very nice view...

You should print it very big

Whats the resolution of the final panoram ?

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments everyone!

You're all quite correct about the blown sky: it was impossible to keep everthing in range especially shooting into the light. It's getting progressively harder this time of year as well now that the sun's so much lower in the sky. I'd love to do one of these with a nice sunset, but I think the exposure range would be way to great.

Boily: The final image is 18.5x2K pixels or 60x7 inches at 300dpi. That's a bit long for any frame I've ever seen :O

Gary: interesting comment about where to put the join: the thing is so dam large I hadn't really considered how to get the best composition: it's hard to get a good feel for the overall image on my small laptop screen. So.... just for you, here's a moved around version with Cox tor in the middle this time.

Regards, John.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:41 AM   #8

OK here's the updated version, unfortunately I've had to jpg-compress this rather a lot
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:16 AM   #9

Top shelf stuff, John . Given that the lighting conditions range from 0-180 degrees to the sun, the exposure control is excellent. And the second composition is better too.

Cheers, Ollie

PS. There is a dark spot in the clouds (about 1/4 from the left edge of the 2nd image). A bird or dust spot?
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:26 AM   #10

Thanks Ollie!

Well spotted on the black spec: yes it's a bird, see the 100% crop below.

Sometimes I clone these crows out: they're so black they do look like dirt on the lens!

John.
Attached Images