Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:15 AM   #1

Hello all viewers!

OK, here is another series. Basically I saw (whoops.. .WE saw!) plenty of vessels on the water during our 2 weeks time in Greece (south west of the country). And I selected a few landscape shots which included some of these boats to share with you.

All comments / feedback gladly welcomed!

#1 a view of the bay near Pylos, looking from a cliff down towards Gialova (the village where we stayed / camped). That island (with it's own little lighthouse) helped the composition with the boat in the "other corner" of this shot...
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:16 AM   #2

#2 - I don't often do black and whites, but this photo seemed appropriate to convert to a B&W... I just love mountains and sea near each other! and a peacefully sailing boat on the water helps to complete this photo I believe ...
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:18 AM   #3

#3 - I have to admit I think this photo is probably my favourite of this series just because the little boats were so cute and so naturally placed in this little harbour area. This is at Methoni,a short drive south of Pylos (about 10 to 15km south of the first 2 photos).

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:22 AM   #4

#4 - finally this photo ... I don't think it has much merit as a photo, but I did just want to share it with you because it shows such a typical scene in the south west area of Greece. Not at all touristy... but a laid back "near the sea / beach" place with houses, villages, small townsscattered here and there, surprising little inlets (and of course lovely historical sites).

But most dominating of all, the colours and with that the amount of OLIVE TREES! (I guess especially in autumn (fall) after a warm, long, dry summer... this just typifies this area). I've never seen so many olive trees per square kilometre. There must be at least 50 olive trees per person in the south west of Greece (and there were quite a few gum (eucalyptus) trees too. though I don't know if any gum trees are in, or visible in this shot).

Well, please do let me know what you think of this small series of 4 photos.

thanks!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5

I'd favourthe last two shots. The colourful cute fishermen's boats, like toys!, look so pleasing in the harbour of deep blue colour. The houses among the olive trees on the hills, by the bay, especially, does a lot of sense to meIn the third shot the mountains at the background add greatly to the composition. But was theyatch placed a bit too central? Well, its poles matches well with the background. So, no problem here, IMO. Still the image looks somewhat flat to me, maybe due tothe conversion technique, not very sure...Maybe aslight increase in contrast would help but not radically. In the first shot, the issue which I mentioned before (noisy look) still prevails despite the fact that it was shot at an ISO of 100:?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:03 PM   #6

Beautiful pictures once again !!

I especially like #3, great job:-)

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:32 AM   #7

Thanks for what you wrote, Bahadir!

I did have a bit of trouble at first trying to match your comments to which photos you meant, but in the end I think I understand what you meant!

Indeed, the colourful (and small) fishermen's boats do look almost toy-like! And against the reflective water (angle of light helped) that's why I think I also like this shot. That's interesting the houses with olive plantations / trees appeal to you.

Did you mean the mountians in the back (in the b&W?) photo add to the composition? I did place the yacht central on purpose. "Rule of thirds" can be broken if one wants... plus I could say I'm sort of following a third rule (left to right mountain, yacht, mountain) and well done for picking up the angle of the ropes sort of match the mountain slopes, PLUS the thirds rule is still applied horizontally (1/3 water, 2/3 scenery / sky). Maybe I do need a bit more contrast. I'm notthat experienced withB&W (yet).

Yes, the first photo is somewhat noisy because it was batch processed in the same group of photos that I posted before which you also noticed as being noisier than could have been. Bad workflow and I was just trying a few new things in PP (without reverting to originals always and also was using my laptop screen which doesn't show the noise so much as my better / normal PC screen).

More later... and again thanks for looking and your insightful and genuine replies! Always to be expected (and appreciated) from you.

Paul
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:47 AM   #8

Greetings Boily!

thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you also like this series.

Looks like we have a (small!) consensus that photo number 3 is perhaps one of the better ones...

Cheers!

Paul
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:44 PM   #9

Paul wrote:
Quote:
Did you mean the mountians in the back (in the b&W?) photo add to the composition? I did place the yacht central on purpose. "Rule of thirds" can be broken if one wants...
Exactly...And thisis what I had written showing my recognition of your good effort
Quote:
In the third shot the mountains at the background add greatly to the composition. But was theyatch placed a bit too central? Well, its poles matches well with the background. So, no problem here.
You wrote:
Quote:
That's interesting the houses with olive plantations / trees appeal to you.
After all, that's a very familiar sight for me full ofpleasant memories which is a good cause for my sympathy
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:30 AM   #10

Pj, once again nice shots, i also like the black and white picture, and also the picture with the olive trees my god i hate olive trees it's almost time for me to help my wifes brother pick his olive trees and i'm trying to find a way to get out of it.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote