Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1

I never could figure out why someone would build a house here.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:02 AM   #2

This is really cool! Is there a road around the bend or do they have to get home by boat? I like it!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

There's a road behind the tracks. you just can't see it in the picture.For the life of me Ican't figurewhy anyone would choose to build in a strange spot like this. Some of the freight trains that usecome by hereare miles long and carry God knows what. Not something I'd want in my backyard, especially not out here.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and alwayswell-informed input, Bob:-)
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #4

Some retired machinist perhaps:GWhy don't you simply knock the door for a cup of coffee and the underlying story?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

When I was young, the railroads would hire high school kids in the summer for their tie gangs, replacing rotted wooden ties along the tracks. Back then, they still had to drive spikes by hand, driven by "gandy dancers", whose rhythmicrockinggait while swinging the spike mauls looked like a coordinated dance. We moved along the line over the summer, and lived in bunk cars, converted railroad cars that were kept on side tracks just off the main line.

One quickly gets used to the light and noise and clatter of passing trains, and it's even sort of comforting, as the bunk car gently rocks in resonance.

Except when one of the sheet metal straps comes loose, which happens very infrequently. Then it hits the bunk car with a resounding slap as the train goes by.

That's why you never walk along a moving train movingin the same direction. Those straps can take a head off.

The tie gang campsand the gandy dancers and even the Milwaukee Road are now memories. But they are good memories.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:47 PM   #6
Administrator

Many years ago, I rented an apartment for what I thought was a very good deal (less than other apartments in the area).

But, I woke up to windows rattling, loud screeching noises, etc., my first night there.

What I didn't know is that a train track was just behind the apartment on the other side of some trees and shrubbery. That's why it was renting for much less that other apartments in the area. :-)

I eventually got used to it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:01 PM   #7

Maybe they got a deal on the lot...interesting shot. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:02 AM   #8

When I was a kid growing up in Edmonton, Alberta, there was a railway right behind the house that served two large military bases not far away. It's not that they were noisy - we got used to it - but those trainscarried everything from jet fuel and ammunition to industrial solvents, not to mention heavy equipment like tanks, bulldozers, you name it. Nothing serious ever happened, but I remember lots of talk in the neighbourhood about how dangerous it was to have this track so close to so many homes. It's long since been removed and replaced with a pedestrian walk.