Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

Man, you people are getting some wonderful shots! I didn't have a very successful weekend but the clouds from an incoming storm Saturday at sunset were unusual ...

Attached Images

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:08 PM   #2

Aren't these some awesome photographers on this site?!?! You're not so bad yourself my friend - this is beautiful. I wish I could see a little more detail in the rocks, but it might detract from those beautiful subtle clouds. ALso, when I tilt my screen, I see more. (I need a new screen!!)

MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

Hi MsPuck, thanks for taking a look.

You certainly are correct about the skills of many of the Steve's family. I have learned a lot from them.

This picture was taken right before sundown and there wasn't much visible detail in the rocks. I played around with PS a bit but since the clouds were what caught my eye I decided to leave it 'as shot'.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:12 AM   #4

drewaz wrote:
Quote:
Man, you people are getting some wonderful shots!
Really, some peoplecan besoirresponsible here,and Iam very angry at them:G

That's really an incredible sky you captured.Moreover, I think your shot has a lot of potential, from whichIskimmed two alternatives. You may decide to go further generating monotone orB&W images as well. Hereera my attemptsrelying on your discretion

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:15 AM   #5

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:22 AM   #6

I have to say that I like the original best. The rocks, when brought out, are wonderful, but they do detract from that great sky, which was the focus of your photo. It's much more dramatic with the rocks left dark, in my opinion.

But thanks to Bahadir for his "take" on your photo - those rocks really are gorgeous.

B/W, grayscale, monotone might also be very dramatic here.

All wonderful stuff!!!

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:30 AM   #7

Very nice sky drewaz, depends on what you were going for, but I like all the versions for different reasons. Taking Bahadir's 2nd edit and making a B&W, hope you don't mind. Nice shot.
edit: besides turining b&w, I also burned some of the midtones in the sky and dodged some of the highlights on the rocks at different exposure values.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:45 PM   #8

I like them all, really, but I still like the original best. It's the most dramatic in my opinion. But as I said, they are ALL beautiful. No losers here!!!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:31 PM   #9

Wow! Thanks to everyone for their edits! I like them all for different reasons also. The B&W is excellent.

It's interesting how many of us are into enhancing images. It's something I find very interesting and rewarding, and it's great to learn the wonders of PS. And, I'm sad to admit, I think it saves many of the pictures I take from the trash bin. None the less, digital photos seem to always need a little work.

This picture, though, is a good representation of what I saw that evening. It was almost dark, a storm was rolling in, and I wanted to capture the unusual clouds. It was a beautiful scene. For that reason, I'm pleased with the dark and ominous mood.

Thanks again. Although I have never met any of you, I certainly feel like you are my friends, and I appreciate all the encouragement I receive from you. I look back at some of my pictures from a year ago and know I have you to thank for the improvement.

Drew