Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:09 PM   #1

It seems like suburban sprawl is slowly covering every square foot of usable land around here. A couple of years ago, this waspristine rolling grassland. In another few years, the hills will be totally paved over.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:23 PM   #2

Great shot! I guess that is one of the consequences of living in such a beautiful area.
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:04 PM   #3

Nice composition : ) Could also make a good grayscale conversion, IMO.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:31 PM   #4

Hello toshi!Very nice!!! I am with you toshi, one day we won't have any nature to photograph.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. The rampant developement we're seeing around here these days is quickly turning Vernon into the Whistler of the Interior, which I suppose is whatsome people want. At the rate we're going,it won't be long until regular folks like me won't be able to live here anymore. Here's another example of what I mean.
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:49 AM   #6

Oh, the same sad story almost everywhereToshi, as a citizen of the town you're right to be concerned about the situation. You're living in an environment which is too beautiful to be wasted Actually, sth. should be done! I believe the local governmentis responsible forenforcing the reconstraction scheme for the destination. And,invariably there has to be one! I believe it's high time environmentally concious citizens there like yourself attracted theattention of the major on the matter which is getting worse! I wish somehow Iwas able tocontribute, too...Ah, perhaps I canfire an e-mail to him/her. After all, theycallthe world aglobal village
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7

You're so right, Bahadir. I know this is going on everywhere, but to see a beautiful and rare environment like ours being paved over with suchdisregard for the long-term consequences is very disturbing. We live in a valley bottom which is already maxed-out as far as infrastructure is concerned because there simply isn't any more physical room, yet the powers that be want to attract more and more people.

This picture is the worst example of the over-developement currently happening here. It's part of a huge, 1 billion-dollar golf resort called The Rise that will eventually take over the hilltops west of Vernon. It also includes massive residential and hotel construction that will cause increased traffic, pollution and noise,and will destroy large parts ofa decidedly fragile environment.:-x
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

The developers like everywhere in the world have only one thing in mind.......profit and money. Local councils, if you have them, need to take charge and set the rules and regulations to how all this development should take place with the evironment and local residents in mind. (sorry I'll stop now.)Interesting shots.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote