Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Great shot!!!! What else can be said...:G
Well, I'd love to say: 'Thanks for your incentive feedback, Rudy!'Ah, god knows how long I'll keep shooting with my compact while everyone else is switching to DSLRs on these days :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:35 PM   #12

Hi bahadir. Great looking sky which i fiddled with using a b/w conversion and some other pp stuff. Can i post it?
desperate_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:37 AM   #13

Glad you liked the image, Dan. Please do not hesitate to post your b&w version.Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:04 PM   #14
VP

Nice capture of an intense looking sky. I love looking at stormy skies and seeing the power of storms......although for some reason I have began tonot like getting caught in them.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:07 PM   #15

armageddon-esque
Attached Images

desperate_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:42 PM   #16

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Taken hand held a week or so agofrom the balcony of my house.S70 powershot; Aperture:f/4.5 Exposure t: 1/25@ ISO: 50;spot metering
bahadir!

The colours of the sky is great, especially the blue in the upper right part of the picture. If the picture is cropped - why don´t you make the lower part a bit higher. The way it is now the sky dominates too much and supresses the lower part.

Of course there is another solution: let the sky tell it´s own story by itself. I think it has the potential to tell that story

Torgny
(northern light)
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:36 AM   #17

VP wrote:
Quote:
Nice capture of an intense looking sky. I love looking at stormy skies and seeing the power of storms......although for some reason I have began tonot like getting caught in them.
Thank you for letting me know how you find it. Btw, did you use to be one of those storm hunters in the States?

Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:01 AM   #18

Dear Dan, I likedthe b&W version and the title you found for it. They make a lot of sense as one! Reminds me the paintingrepresenting the Battle of Isus... Your versions are always wellcome

.................................................. ...............................

Torgny wrote:

Quote:
The colours of the sky is great, especially the blue in the upper right part of the picture. If the picture is cropped - why don´t you make the lower part a bit higher. The way it is now the sky dominates too much and supresses the lower part.
Thank you for your appreciation. As a matter of fact I only considered including the lower part to provide a ground line and to givemore sense of the late evening with some city lights while shooting. Ithought that the more of it would steal more from the main subject: The sky. Thus the image you see is almost an uncropped one.

Btw, is Torgny your real name? Or I'dcall you Thor from northern mythologyif you don't mind

Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:15 AM   #19

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bahadir!

For some reason i have a hard time (or perhaps it´s bad luck) to get nice skies in my landscape pictures. Not being a friend of metaphysics I don´t think it has anything to do with my name Torgny which means "the big sound of the god Thor", "thunder" in english

Regarding horisontal proportions i think the rule of thirds and the golden mean really helps in composing. Perhaps it´s metaphysical* but it seems to work. Personally I often use the lower two thirds for foreground in landscape photography.

I think it often gives the viewer a chance to step into the image. But most other people don´t like it that way, something that makes me sensitive to horisontal proportionality

(*The Fibonacci series on the other hand, can´t, i think, be accused of being methaphysical. They are pure mathematics)

I don´t know what your name means but I have hard to imagine that it has anything to do with the mountain-thunder god Jehova (Jahve). May I call you sair or hukumdar?

For those of us who really like clouds there is a web-site

http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:06 PM   #20

Torgny, thanks for elaborating the link between Thor and Torgny! MeanwhileI happened toconfim your real name I am afraid your estimation in return,regardingthe mountain-thunder god Jehova and my nameis notvalid . But I do appreciate your effort andTurkishvocabulary Consequently, try as you may, you'll not be able to findaone-word-substituteof my name other than itself! which means warrior (but ancient one!)If my recollection is correct, Bernard Shaw said thatevery man, by instinct, is a warrior and a lover, after all:G
Quote:
Regarding horisontal proportions i think the rule of thirds and the golden mean really helps in composing. Perhaps it´s metaphysical* but it seems to work. Personally I often use the lower two thirds for foreground in landscape photography.
...which is quiteadvisable!....But then we should rememberthe presence of othermeans ofattaingharmony through composition, such as the colour and the masses. You can compare the works of Venetian and Florentine paintersin this regard

Thanks for the link! To Asgard with love...