Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:45 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bluwing!

Very nice nature pictures.

#5 is my favourite. A wonderful picture. I often drive by a place almost exactly like the landscape in that picture and I have taken 50-100 pictures. But never once (!)has the sky been so beautiful. Perhaps one day it will.

For sure it´all about light

Torgny
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:59 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bluwing!

For sure you have knowledge about highlighting the skies or did didn´t you do any postprocessing?

Again: really nice pictures. I´ll post a picture when I get a good sky like the one in your #5

Torgny
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:59 AM   #13

Hi Torgny,

Thanks for the kind words! I have a little trick that an older and wiser photographer taught me. It works on most pics. It is using anadjustment layer inverted in burn mode at about 28%.

That picture #5 the sky was pretty much as I saw it and has very little processing. Mostly high pas sharpening and JPEG noise removal and a hue and saturation adjustment.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:25 PM   #14

Rudy!

Thanks for your useful Photoshop tips. It´s the deepest computer software I´ve ever encountered. (Well, 3D Studio Max isn´t exactly easy either)

I wrote that I would post a picture like yours (landscape _with_ nice sky) but that might take a while. It will have to do with this picture taken today. Not flashy. No PP. Available light - the sun behind some stubborn clouds

Torgny

Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:11 PM   #15

Wow. If you can do this well with Canon, I'm expecting great things from your Pentax.

I had always used Nikon SLRs, but when I looked at DSLRs, the Pentax just seemed to work better for me than a comparable Nikon.

I've never regretted it.

Saving for that K10, now.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:37 PM   #16

Hi Barbarian,

Thank you for the very kind words!!! so far with the Pentax I am loving the results. I find that I have to do very little post processing with the Pentax versus the Canon.

I wish that my Canon DSLR was 1/2 as good as my SLR was, But that was not the case. :G

I will be posting more pics when the weather is better and warmer. right now it only about 20 degrees F.

Rudy
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:52 PM   #17

Hi Torgny,

Very Nice!!! Are you sure you don't live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan??? :-) The scenery looks almost identical to what we have here. Right now you have more color where you live than I do. LOL!!!

I use Paint Shop Pro for my editing. I have tried Adobe PS, but I did not like it.

Rudy
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:40 PM   #18

#4 has a rather unique perspective to it that draws the eye toward the center. The diminishing size (from front to back) of the clouds from the sky on the top and their reflection in the water I think is what does it. Normally I suppose the rule of thirds would say to place that water line higher or lower but in doing so you would loose the symmetry and the effect of constantly being pulled toward the center. A rather unique composition of such a shot I think. The colors are also very well captured. I would love to have a shot at that landscape as there are just so many ways you could compose it.
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:05 AM   #19

Hi TBAY,

Thank you for the compliment!!! You know what they say, " Rules are ment to be broken". The rules are only guidelines to me. I something catches my eye, The heck with the rules.... LOL!!!

Rudy
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:53 AM   #20

Hi they are all nice images, but a little flat, number 4 is, I think the best, all thoe a little over sharpened.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote