Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1

It snowed around here two weeks ago, which gave me the perfect opportunity of a family hike : ) The mountain, some 30 miles away from my house in Izmir,isquite observable from the balcony!
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2

An impressive shot, bahadir, and your stitching seems masterful to me.

Is there any detail in the darkness of the flora that can perhaps be brought out?

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:51 AM   #3

That's a beautiful shot, Bahadir. Nice job stitching, too.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:44 AM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bahadir

This is a great mountain photo. The soft clouds coming in from the upper right, gently touching the hard and very detailed surface of the mountain. Mountains of course also live a life, though it´s much, much, much slower than ours

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:49 AM   #5

Beautiful shot, and the cloud gives us an idea of it's height
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind replies! Iintended to bring out more detail from the foreground, brightening up, however, probably due to the limited dynamic range of my compact cameramy attemptended up with a certain amount of loss in image quality. Eh, maybe someone else can manage it... As a matter of fact, Ifind myself considerably less competent on editing my own images than those of others:-)

Btw, I would like to share some lyrics of Mountains by Man-o-War,I'veenjoyed muttering while on my hikes since my early college years : )

So tall, silent against the sky
Up through the clouds, where eagles fly
Wind and rain beat down on one so strong
They cut but never change, what stood so long

I'm in the ground, I'm in the air, I'm all...
I live in the hearts of all men
I'm the call to greatness
Not all can hear
I awaken the creator, in those who dare
And the day will come, when we all must die
And enter the mountainside
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:43 AM   #7

UPDATE! Regarding mysentences abovereferring toflippedgazelle's comment, once again I see the vanity of complaining aboutthe limitations of one's own camera by experience!:-) C&C comparing two versions are wellcome!!
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:51 AM   #8
eu

Bahadir,
I still prefer the first version.thinking the mountain is the main subject here. I would like to see the mountain better than the trees. Maybe by the curves tool you may apply dfferent values to dark and bright zones. Anyway, it seems that you‘ve been already shifted the brightness and contrast values and sharpened some, in the first image. IMHO playing more may cause unnatural results.

I also have to add that, your picture took me years ago that we've been toogether on the top of there many times.

If you don't mind, I would make a correction for the name of the mountain. As you well know there are two ancient cities called Magnesia; Magnesia ad meander, Magnesia ad spylum.
The first one is situated by the river meander (where 'meander' is derived from the ancient ornament as the river curling continiously on the lowlands)
The second Meander ( modern Manisa) is the ancient city settled on the foots of Mt. Spylum (modern Mt. Spil) seen in your photo.
There are two Olympos mountains in Anatolia which may have been confused your mind. The one in the Northern Aegean and the one in Mediterrenean coast.

To people who finds the geographical notes here, unrelated to the forum, I apologize.

emre
eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:02 AM   #9

Emre, thanks for the prompt feedback including your preference also! I remember how you proved to be 'tough mate' at mountaineering,and now, I'm happy to see the same is likely to apply at photography

About your kind reminder about the geographical issue, I might have entitle the topic ' Mt. Spylos' however that would be a bit too plain! Thus, as you'd expect of me, I preferred to rely on the connotative meaning of 'olympos' as an adjective (which is absolutelydifferent than nominating it 'Mt. Olympos'), referring to the fact that it's the highest mountainin theregionretaining asacredaspect as well, just like almost every ancient settlement having an 'acropolis'. In this regard,due to your kindconfidence in my'interests'I hope youdo not get confused if I refer Mt. Nif as 'Olympos of Smyrna' next time:-)
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:58 AM   #10

Bahadir, a very fine job in editing, sir - you have brought out the detail I yearned to see. Thank you!

I do see the good Emre's point about the mountain being the focal point, and perhaps too much detail may prove a distraction. However, I must admit I enojy the further detail of the image.

Chris
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote