Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:55 AM   #11

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
hi matt

oh i know that place so well, your just down the road from the national trust campsite :-)

am gonna be bold here...could be wrong but i think u have added that sky as the land is uniformly lit, which to my eye means it was a clear (ish) sky ?? the clouds also look to be closer than the crags which i know are about 3 miles at least in distance

nice effect anyway

oh wife saw the pic too and agreed, so it could be egg on our faces or glory.........which is it mate LOL

Gary
Gary, I'm afraid it's the old egg! The clouds were there at the time of taking. I think the inconsistency between the clouds and the foreground is a more a result of the HDR effect and post processing by myself. This shot was one of my cast offs, as i'm temp without a camera i've been going through my old shots and just basically playing with them. 1 -0 to Matt :blah:

Bill, thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated!

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:23 AM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Matt,

Do you know of a step-by-step instruction how to merge two variants of the same RAW picture file (one for the highlights; another for the shadows)

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:18 AM   #13

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Matt,

Do you know of a step-by-step instruction how to merge two variants of the same RAW picture file (one for the highlights; another for the shadows)

Torgny

Torgny,

Without going down the HDR route, prob the easiest way is to create two layers in PS, and tweak one for the highlights and one for the shadows.

Then, using either a layer mask or the more destructive delete tool, mask or delete appropriate parts of the image so that both the highlight layer and shadow layer are blended.

When using HDR with one RAW what i do is the following. Open the RAW file and save a mumber of versions of it each with different exposure settings.

I use the following, five different exposures at -4, -2, 0, +2, +4. Then using the HDR function in CS2 (File--Automate---Merge to HDR) create a HDR image. You can then tweak the HDR file using the tone mapping options as part of the CS2 HDR process. At the end of this you will be left with a 32bit image which can be converted to a 16bit tiff or jpeg, i always use tiff to minimise loss of data. This tiff can then be edited normally in CS2.

One thing to remember is that when using HDR, it always better to use more than one photo, i normally bracket between 3 and 5. When using one RAW file you do lose quite a bit of data and they can suffer from noise. I experienced this problem with this photo so i had to spend a bit of time messing with noise removal.

Ultimately HDR from one RAW is not true HDR as sufficent tonal range can not be captured in a singly RAW file.

If you need a hand or more help then just drop me a PM.

Cheers, Matt

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:20 PM   #14

Nicely done, just keep trying stuff until you get your cam back

........................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote