Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:02 AM   #21

The second is technically not as good of photo, but it's the one that all concerned with the wedding immediately latch onto as their favorite, and it's because of the emotions that power their way through. How much of that emotion is subjective becauseof knowledge of the personalities of the subjects?

The more abstract we go, the more risk we take that an emotional trigger will not be reached. Bill, I saw your thread of the negative tree, but didn't comment, because I had no reaction to it at all. However,l I've found some of your work with light to be stunning. Torgny, the same can be said of many of your landscapes. Your orchard shot, however, ran into a literal block in my mind. I kept looking for the lines of fruit trees that define "orchard" in my mind. What I saw was a nice forest.

Some thought provoking postings. Keep the good work coming.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:18 AM   #22

Now I get it , this is all a ploy to get us to comment on your drunk bumbily bee sequence when you really mean to forward the complexities of Fibonacci numbers just to over load our minds :homey:! I'm gonna ask Holmer what it all means

If one traces the ancestry of this male bee...

OK let post a challenge in the biweekly section.

pictures that move the eye from right to left

then the next challenge

pictures that move the eye from left to right?

and see what comments get posted about like and dislikes

the 3rd challenge needs to be, of course, emptyness
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:27 AM   #23

Yes the power of emotions causing a reaction is a way to provoke 'the reaction' it could be a pic of where you met your loved one with no people in it, for example. Or colour association perhaps that provokes... it goes on and on. But the key is the reaction of the viewer. Which is why we have shock art? (I think i posted to many shot in the negative photos and should have kept it to one, 180 rotation). Where are all the psychologists out there...mmmmm. Bart get me a beer,..
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:24 AM   #24

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Watson. Ein wohltemperiertes Duff. Naja, naja :-}

/T

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:08 PM   #25

where did the bee go? dont leave me all empty inide like this, I'll have nothing to comment on, have you been casting runes around steves forum if you have and it very much looks like it from your last posting, you will get sent to the naughty chair
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:01 PM   #26

Wow, now you guys are talkin' art and poetry 'n stuff, and the thing is...

I like the bumbily bee. He looks like he is going exactly where he is supposed to go; that is, he's going to where I envision him going, and nothing in that photo contradicts my presumptive thought.

I like the unmarked blue sky. She looks expecting - she looks pregnant.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:44 AM   #27

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

flippedgazelle,

I´m trying to straighten this peculiar thread that started with a simple landscape without any other "object" than the landscape itself. You say expecting on the just blue sky picture. Very well put

The philosophical issues related to this aren´t really that hard to understand. I´ll quote from

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n15340968

... the story of Pierre from Being and Nothingness ...

In this story Sartre arrives at a cafe to meet Pierre, but the latter is not there.

The cafe with all its people and activity is "fullness of being," but while Sartre is looking for Pierre it becomes the "ground."

Each figure or thing in it gains a moment of Sartre's attention (is this Pierre?), isolated and standing out against the background, and shortly after sinks again into the background (it is not Pierre).

Sartre calls the successive disappearance of these objects into the background "original nihilation."

On the surface of this original nihilation another nihilation occurs. Since Pierre is nowhere to be found, his absence haunts the cafe.

Thus, Pierre presents himself as "nothingness on the ground of the nihilation of the cafe ... the nothingness which slips as a nothing to the surface of the ground."

Sartre calls Pierre's perpetual absence from the cafe "double nihilation."

The context here is an analysis of the paintings of Rothko. It has nothing to do with New Age, it is serious european continental philosophy

Hope you don´t mind me using your reply for clarification. In case you do, I apologize

Now the sun is shining outside. The time here is now 10:35. In an hour and a half there will be lunch time. Hope you enjoy your meal at your favourite place. It is beautiful and you are well worth the reloading with such working hours

Torgny

Here a painting by Rothko

Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:07 AM   #28

flippedgazelle,/ I dont think the bee is going anywhere but rather he is coming from the future is not planned, so what is known, is only where he has been and nto where hs is going to.

T./ Nothingness can only exisit when it is observed so if it is observed then there must be something, at least anobserver, 'I would commentthat the traditional argument of nothingness needs reformulation, and that the cogency of the reformulated argument depends partly on whether there are certain conceptual limitations to what a person can hypothetically doubt'. (not my words)

·Your own country men(I think)Erik Carlson &Erik J. Olsson put forward the case that "Why is there something rather than nothing". Well, why not? Why expect nothing rather than something? No experiment could support the hypothesis ‘There is nothing' because any observation obviously implies the existence of an observer.

Yeah i know that we don't know
just how much that we don't know
or even why we know
all that we think we know

and it's true that Truth is real
or even nothing can't be true
and you can't question your existence
if there's no such thing as you

still the questions are always bigger
than the answers i can find
so there must be something more
than just me, myself, and i

but if there's more here than just me
that must include what i perceive
for what use is it to doubt
all that i can hear or see?

because the gap between thinking
and living such a thing
would divide me from all of you
that are listening to me

so the questions are still bigger
than the answers we can find
and there must be something more
than just you and i and why...

.........:homey:Bart another drink for me this is hard work

Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:57 AM   #29

Torgny, this "peculiar" thread, as you call it, is actually quite delightful, and I greatly appreciate your answer.

BIll's quote, "Nothingness can only exisit when it is observed so if it is observed then there must be something, at least anobserver" is a significant theme in the Beatles' animated movie, "The Yellow Submarine".
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:06 AM   #30

bill43210,

flippedgazelle,

OK. Let´s rock. I´ll be back. Feel free to elaborate on any issue. I have very few personal thoughts on this but I think it has some impact on photography.

Just spoke to an artist, a painter, today. He said, in short, that something happens when you limit the world to a frame, but he could not explain it in words, just by gestures

We agreed that one single millimeter can mean everything to a composition. That´s another wonder

Thank you for making this a interesting thread. JDar said: "it's fun to see a thread take a twist and people go a little crazy"

Agree on that (friendly smile)

Torgny

Just some notes for my memory. I´ll post some "Bemerkungen"
Descartes
Sartre
Berkeley
Moore
Wittgenstein