Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:22 PM   #11

Wow!! Incredible set. I love the the railing on the lower right-adds a nice touch to the vastness. Almost as if its there to keep me from going over the edge as I becomemesmerizedwith the splendor before my eyes.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:14 PM   #12

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
Wow!! Incredible set. I love the the railing on the lower right-adds a nice touch to the vastness. Almost as if its there to keep me from going over the edge as I becomemesmerizedwith the splendor before my eyes.
How ingeniously perceivedand how eloquently put

My desire for keeping the railing has been fully justified now : )

Thank you for the insightful feedback!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:16 PM   #13

The beautifully arranged clouds are astonishingly three-dimensional. I feel I could reach through the screen and touch them!

musket wrote:
Quote:
...impossible to get consumer printers and paperthat are suitable for doing large panoramic photos...
If you mean consumer inkjet printers, I snapped up a roll-feedable Epson Stylus Photo 890 and a roll of 8-inch photo inkjet paper from my local camera shop in Wrexham ( http://www.wrexcam.com ) about 18 months ago. The model was being discontinued, I think.

I haven't used it yet, because about then I became disenchanted when all my wall-mounted inkjet prints started fading,apart from the ones under glass in dark corners. If I did use it, I think one problem would be finding software that would deliver a very long image to the printer. None of my packages will do it, so far as I'm aware. I'd be grateful to anyone who knows of any software that will, preferably free, ready for when I do want to do it.

If you mean minilabs, Wrexham Cameras (above), acquireda few months ago anew in-store 'Agfa D2 Super Lab' printing machine that takes 12-inch paper. They expected when I first enquired that it would do very long prints, but it turns out that it's limited to 18 inches. It's apparently an even more expensivemodel that will do long ones. Maybe it's just a software limitation, but I haven't asked them to go into that. I use them for all ordinary enlargements for hanging, up to 18x12, at very reasonable prices. I know these will fade as well, but it'll probably take decades with modern materials.

So, I've prepared overlapping correctly sizedsets of images 18 inches long for them to print as 18x12s, to make several panoramas, at quite reasonable cost. Of course, I'm landed with the thorny problem of mounting them without showing the joins and without spoiling the beautiful sheets, and I haven't yet found a good solution that doesn't involve paying a fortune to an art framing service.

This problem has been discussed, probably many times, in the 'Panoramas & Stitching' forum round here, for example in 2004 at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=69

It might be worth asking again over there.

Good luck, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:59 PM   #14

Alan Twrote:

Quote:
The beautifully arranged clouds are astonishingly three-dimensional. I feel I could reach through the screen and touch them!
I'm happy to readyour words of appreciation!

Living just beyond these hills which my friends call 'cloud production center', I just feel lucky when I do not miss the opportunity to do justice to them: )

And thank youalso for the tips and the links you allowed for pano lovers
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:21 AM   #15
v12

Bahadir

as usual, well done my friend. I will attmept at a stitch one of these days, might have to send it off to you for the stitch work lol

I am afraid my lack of skills might keep me from completing a nice image as the one you have presented here

care to share the lens type and settings?

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:39 AM   #16

V12, Thank you : )

Looking forward to seeing your stitchwork! Practice and appreciation makes it perfect

Btw, your avatar makes me remerber that I haven't hadmy superposecough for a loooong time !! :-)
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:42 AM   #17
v12

haha, thats great!
by chance can you share the lens and settings you used for the pics? I also assume a tripod was in use?
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:21 AM   #18

v12 wrote:
Quote:
haha, thats great!
by chance can you share the lens and settings you used for the pics? I also assume a tripod was in use?
Sure! Almost all of my the pics.have been taken with my good old Canon S70 poweshot compact cam! While using a tripod for stitchworkcan bevery very useful for attaining a level groundline, I haven't used a tripod in any of my stitchworks. Ah, in terms of photography, you see, I tend to be a man of compensation rather than that of precaution :GWell, itis morecostly of course! You'll have to labour at PS trying manually stitching the shotsfrom varying angles and sometimes even have to dump some of them Anyway, I'd strongly suggest you using the manual modeto be able to stick to one 'sweet setting' for theshots to be stitched. Or else you'll find differently posed shotsalmost incompetable to merge in terms of colours:!:

I'd be pleased to reply any further particular question from my humble experience : )

Ah, they say a good magician does not reveal his secrets:lol:However, we're on the same side exploring this wonderful branch of art
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:07 AM   #19

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
While using a tripod for stitchworkcan bevery very useful for attaining a level groundline, I haven't used a tripod in any of my stitchworks.
I gave up using a tripod for panoramas, possibly for the same reasons as you, with your wonderful cloudscapes. In the time taken to line up shots, peering awkwardly into the viewfinder, or struggling to shade the LCD screen, and get the overlap about right, again & again I'd find the lighting and the sky changing radically from one shot to the next; it was necessary to get on with it !

What I do instead is have the 3x3 grid (2 vertical & 2 horizontal lines) displayed on screen (and now in LCD viewfinder) and try to use it to align the horizon, or a guess at where the horizontal would be, position a landmarkjust right of a gridintersection in one shot, and place it just left oftheotherintersection in the next shot, giving a roughly 25% overlap. With practice I can whizz round quite quickly, and often I find the stitching isn't too difficult.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:00 AM   #20

At this point, it's so nice to hear again from an experienced mate like yourself, Alan : )

Right! %25 ovelapping is quite decent IMO! I oftenincrease it to 1/3 to be able toguarantee more matching points when stitching at PS. I have always wishedthe LCD viewfinder of my S70 had grid lines (andthe grid intersections!!) to make a tripod alltogether obsolete for me ... ah, but the S80 has!! So that I can only use the top and bottom marigins of the screen to level the view.Well, something like using a compound bow without adecent sight :-)

One thing I forgot to mention above was avoiding the wide end of the lens (sticking, at least, to 35mm rather than 28mm for example)whose distortion makes an unpleasant surprise when you open them in PS to stitch !!

Actually, stitching is a quite an enjoyable activity