Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:20 PM   #1

Shot with a Panasonic TZ3 I'm carrying around these days and having a lot of fun with..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:52 PM   #2

Nice..... very nice
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:07 AM   #3

Nice series of images and reflections, i was going to buy the TZ3 but the noise i read it had turned me away.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

Hercules, the noise characteristics of the TZ3are improved compared to an FZ50 I also own. The difference between those two is, I can download ISO 100 or 200images from myFZ50 and, with the possible exception of having to make a Levels or Contrast adjustment in Photoshop, the files need no additional sharpening.The TZ3 has three image perameters. I use the standard, out-of-the-box setting, which looks great on the camerasLCD after capture, but does need sharpening added afterwards. Fortunately, the TZ3 files accept a very generous amount of sharpening, in addition to whatever Levels and Contrast you feel you need to add. To me, it's a great camera for a DSLR-type user used to tweeking most every image he/she shoots. A little extra time spentis wellworth it with files from this camera.

When I first downloaded the set I posted above, after adding the sharpening I was using, they still didn't look that great, so I went back to my Photoshop book by Deke McClelland and re-read his suggested settings when sharpening for printing and found I was well under his suggested settings. Fortunately, I always retain my original, unaltered files. A trip back through the Smart Sharpen filter in Photoshop CS2 and I am very pleased with them.

I've been shooting this TZ3now for a couple of months and have been very pleased. Here's a more varied set of images I've uploaded over time..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

I've slowly been going back since adjusting my sharpening settings, re-doing a few to see the difference, which is substantial. Here are acouple other type shots from that page where I've used my "new" sharpening settings..

This is a shot from the 280mm full tele end. These two subjects are nowhere near one another... a great example of the compression you canget at 280mm. It's also a good indication of the wide depth of field you can havedue tothe smaller sensor of these type cameras. I was a substantial distance away from both or the gate entrance sign would have been more out of focus, even with the smaller sensor. The "gate 3" is a sign at the Cotton Bowl football stadium. The ferris wheel is the Texas Star on the Midway of the Texas State Fair grounds...

This is a 28mm wide setting image..

This was processed using my "old" perameters, at ISO 800. Shot in Cathedral Guadelupein downtown Dallas at 1/8 second, handheld..

ISO 400 shot with spot metering, again, at the "old" perameters..

The other great thing about the TZ3 is the 28mm wide angle setting...lines stay straight. Nothing bent out of the camera that needs to be straightened. If you get TOO close, you may have to make a perspective correction, but there's nothing bowed in these images..

If you like to play with the 16:9 format, unlike other cameras that only crop the top and bottom of the image, if you look at the resolution settings, you'll see the TZ3's "long side" resolution of the 16:9 format is actuallybigger than the normal long sideresolution when you use the standard4:3 format. What this means is, the 28mm lens is capturing a "true" 28mm field of view when used in the 16:9 format, not just a cropped image. I don't usethat formata lot, but there's beenone or twotimes where it made playing with a few images fun afterwards. Here's one in to go along with thethree I posted in my original message...

Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:39 PM   #5

Both landscape and (your native!) architectural sets feature very tasteful captures one can expect of you Btw, I should say I was impressed by the clean images at 400 and even 800 ISO shots with the pana!

Hope everthing is fine with you..
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:16 AM   #6

Hi Bahadir! Paris looms again....I'll be there Sept 11-25. Many day trips scheduled...Chateau's, the wine and champaign country and several parts of the city we missed last year.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:41 AM   #7

BTW, I love this picture............................Graham
lazylad is offline   Reply With Quote