Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:53 PM   #21

We do have windmills here, unfortunately, not enough. The towers are all in place and the millions of miles of wires strung up. To replace that would be an enormous cost.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 4:39 PM   #22

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
We do have windmills here, unfortunately, not enough. The towers are all in place and the millions of miles of wires strung up. To replace that would be an enormous cost.
Very nice picture, thanks for the cooperation. Anything is better than fossile fuels.

What about nuclear power?

I´m serious

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:19 PM   #23

Hi Torgny

Thanks for sharing your photos. I like the third one best, it's a great composition IMHO, with the wind swept grass as well as the wind powered turbine in the background.

It's hard to get a good exposure and get the true sense for photos like the first one (too much dynamic range between the grass and the dark backgrounds)... and impossible for a HDR image too I'd say (moving grass ...)

Thanks for sharing. I agree... anything better than fossil fuels!

I might have to share some Aussie windmills sometime...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:57 PM   #24

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
[b]

*What about nuclear power?

I´m serious

Torgny

Its funny you mention nuclear. I live about 3 miles from a large nuclear plant on the edge of Lake Ontario. It furnishes the electricity running along the lines you see in my towers shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:08 PM   #25

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Torgny

It's hard to get a good exposure and get the true sense for photos like the first one (too much dynamic range between the grass and the dark backgrounds)... and impossible for a HDR image too I'd say (moving grass ...)

Paul
Agree. I gave it a try in CS3. What du you think?

Attached Images

Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:18 PM   #26

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

�What about nuclear power?

I´m serious

Torgny

Its funny you mention nuclear. I live about 3 miles from a large nuclear plant on the edge of Lake Ontario. It furnishes the electricity running along the lines you see in my towers shot.

Solar energy? Panels with 10% effectivity covering 10% of the Sahara desert area would produce enough energy to cover the planet´s current needs

/T

Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:19 AM   #27

Great images.Renewable energy has become a part of my camera pack with multiple cusom made rechargers for all of my digitals but if you want to join the revolution you can make your own specialized panels with materials from this place:
http://www.hughessolarenergy.com/zeu...roducts_id=211

Are those windmills in halland?I saw most in sweden around malmo/skane when i toured that country a few years ago...
nikonmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:45 AM   #28

My churchgoing wife finds the image below resonant. The planet's in need of salvation.

As for nuclear power, my opinion is that we need it desperately, however horrible and dangerous. We'll have to put up with one or two nuclear accidents per year, and hope they'll be small ones. We need everything that isn't fossil-based.

I spent my working life as a researcher in an electricity research centre. The Centre'sfounding director, now a very old man, was forever saying when I arrived there in 1974, "We must look to the future; the all-electric society".

At the Centre's 40th anniversary celebration recently, to my delight, that phrase provided the closing words of his speech. I was all geared up to remind him what he'd said, but I didn't need to.

What is required is a vast, WW2-sized research effort to get the infant technologies, notably wave power, up and running. We have NO properly practical electrical answer for transport yet. Hydogen & fuel cells are fine, but they're practical for spaceflight, not shopping. Hydrogen is the fastest diffusing substance there is. It doesn't stay where you put it. Storage that doesn't let it leak out is horribly expensive.

Storing electricity in bulk hasn't been sorted out, either, to get best utilisation from renewables and nuclear.

I am not optimistic, and fear for my children's future.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:11 AM   #29

nikonmax

Alan T

I´m very happy that you have replied. I´ll get back to you when I found out how to express my thoughts properly. Thank you very much for your participation. We are all in this together

Torgny

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:28 AM   #30

Great series of shots Torgny, i also really like #3 well done
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote