Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:35 AM   #11

Thanks everybody.

The pic was actually taken near to a town called Larkhall, which is aproximately 20 miles South of Glasgow. We live a bit further South at a village calledLesmahagow.

Yep, I had a cow for comapny in the field on the other side of the road, some may see it depending on the brightness/contrast settings on their monitor. I will need to add a bit more shadow to get rid of it. There is quite a lot going in the shadows, the M74 motorway and the River Clyde are in there somewhere.:lol:

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:04 PM   #12

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Where exactly is this photo taken? (Edinburgh?)
Your question illustrates one of the drawbacks to Steve's Forums display software & editor! The subtitle to the original post says "Motherwell" (near Glasgow), but you don't get to see it if you jump straight to the message from an email alert. When message posters fail to put a very distinctive title in the main title to their thread, I often forget which thread is which when I want to go back and reply even when I've only just been looking at the titles. Hi-ho. It's old age in my case. And once you've typed the title & subtitle (sometimes misspelling or mistyping them in my case) you can't change them.

Striking picture! I think I remember those flats from travelling round there.
Alan,

Yes, actually you highlight 2 shortcomings of this forum's display. I never actually use email alert to jump straight to the message... but that is a very valid point (in this case never seeing the subtitle... but just seeing the main title).

In my case I click directly on the post in the forum. Then once in the actual thread, the MAIN time is only visible in the top of the screen, and the subtitle is not anywhere. So by the time I (or anyone else) would have looked at the photo/s and read the words/text of the poster/s and I'm ready to reply... the SUBtitle might have been forgotten (and it might have provided special/ useful information in my reply).

I'll actually bring this as a request to the moderators, and see if they might be able to incorporate this in future software / forum upgrades (I know there were some modifications some time ago which led to the forums being inoperable for some hours).

In this particular instance, I did remember the subtitle, but I just don't know where Motherwell is (apart from knowing it is in Scotland, as the subtitle actually said: Motherwell, Scotland). Because you had written that you travel to your daughter's in Edinburgh often I thought it must be there or near there (as you live about 100 times closer to Scotland than I do!) Though I have been to Scotland on about 12 occasions when I lived in the UK and although I love geography and am generallly quite good at remembering names... but I don't know all place names of course!

Naturally I could have googled Motherwell, Scotland... but I guess I was just being lazy! The place just looked like areas of Glasgow I'd seen...that's why I put both places names in my question "where is it"...

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:07 PM   #13

Everlong wrote:
Quote:
A pic I took last night whilst walking the dogs, just happened to have the cam.
...and a tripod, I guess:-)regarding therequired exposure time for a noise free 100 ISO shot!
Wellcome to the forum, Everlong! Don't think you're new to photography though.. Posts: 4calls formore

Bahadir

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:19 PM   #14

Everlong wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everybody.

The pic was actually taken near to a town called Larkhall, which is aproximately 20 miles South of Glasgow. We live a bit further South at a village calledLesmahagow.

Yep, I had a cow for comapny in the field on the other side of the road, some may see it depending on the brightness/contrast settings on their monitor. I will need to add a bit more shadow to get rid of it. There is quite a lot going in the shadows, the M74 motorway and the River Clyde are in there somewhere.:lol:
Hi Everlong!

Thanks for your reply... now we all know exactly where it is.

I guess you live somewhat inland from Largs... I've been there a number of occasions.

Cool that I guessed right, that there is a cow in the photo (I noticed the fence posts which "led" me to the cow!)

I'll have to brighten up more to see the River Clyde and M74!

Please post more photos..!

Regards,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:44 AM   #15

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Everlong wrote:
Quote:
A pic I took last night whilst walking the dogs, just happened to have the cam.
...and a tripod, I guess:-)regarding therequired exposure time for a noise free 100 ISO shot!
Wellcome to the forum, Everlong! Don't think you're new to photography though.. Posts: 4calls formore

Bahadir

Rumbled lol, yep, had a pod too, it was a 6 second exposure.:lol:

Nope. not that new to photography, been at it now for about 4 years.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:49 AM   #16

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Everlong wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everybody.

Hi Everlong!

Thanks for your reply... now we all know exactly where it is.

I guess you live somewhat inland from Largs... I've been there a number of occasions.

Cool that I guessed right, that there is a cow in the photo (I noticed the fence posts which "led" me to the cow!)

I'll have to brighten up more to see the River Clyde and M74!

Please post more photos..!

Regards,

Paul
Hi mate.

We are bout 20 miles inland, more or less in a straight line, East across from Prestwick. We take the dogs to Prestwick a lot. Largs is a place I've been to once, I'm originally from South Wales, I moved here almost 3 years ago and I'm still discovering wonderful Scotland.

I'll be happy to post more of my pics.:lol: