Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:26 AM   #11

Thanks guys for your posts and input! I'll answer all in turn!

Bynx,

Yes I wrote: "quick n nasty" because I wanted to show to myself (and others) what was achievable in terms of HDR in a short time... And I was quite impressed! Yes Photomatix does a good quick job in this respect. I remember trying a few (only 2 or 3) in an older version of Photoshop using layers, etc... and it seemed to takes quite a while for me to get right... but yes, there is more control there. And I'm sure if I did more work in Photoshop I would get quicker.

I have Photomatix trial version, which allows me an NON-watermarked version if I JUST use the "2 photos highlights / shadows" option (hence I used the best 2 photos to cover the exposures). I know that having and using more (e.g. 3 or more) would increase the possibilities, but I'm quite happy what I could achieve here. If I use 3 or more photos on the trial version, or try tweaking it (or put it in any other mode than just "2 photos highlights / shadows".. THEN it will give me the annoying watermark.

So that's why I only used two photos, and thus didn't do any cloning out!

Thanks...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:31 AM   #12

Alan,

Thanks for your kind comments... and compliments.

Yes, I was happy with the results... you can try the trial download here: http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html

Make sure to click the "align images" option before doing the "2 photos highlight / shadow" task... that helps (I assume) where images might be a bit non-aligned.

I know what you mean that most HDR photos seem over the top. I agree... and although their output looks stunning, this is personal, I prefer images which are a bit more "nice n natural" than "amazing but maybe sureal"...

Cheers!

Paul
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:33 AM   #13

Hi Bob!

As you are a landscape photographer I admire and appreciate your posts and learned from through Steve's here, I am grateful for your feedback!!

Have you ever done any or much HDR work or tried in this area?

Paul
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:36 AM   #14

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I agree over the top. However, HDR is in its infancy stages with digital photography. When the controls are understood better it wont be so obvious and the quality of the pics will improve a lot. IMO. and I reserve the right to be called an idiot.

By the way, all of the HDRs here by pj if put through Photoshop Highlight/Shadow a single click will fix the dark areas and actually darken the sky a bit giving more detail.
And for Bynx again...

I appreciate your words and input... and that photo edit you provided.

Yes, I have used photoshop's highlight / shadows tool quite a bit... but there are still times I find when it doesn't match the output or do exactly what a HDR might be able to do.... though you're right, it is much quicker.

I will put up the multiple exposures soon... and maybe then it can be seen how vast the difference between sky (bright) and ground (dark) is!

Thanks again!

Paul
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:38 AM   #15

Pj, I took one of your pics and just put it through Photoshop Highlight/Shadow and clicked ok on my preset numbers. It produced the final result I posted. I did the same with a couple other of your pics and in all cases it helped a lot to brighten the shadows and darken the sky. Photomatix does a good job creating the HDR but a final tweak is necessary in Photoshop. Check your PM I think you will be pleased.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:41 AM   #16

Thanks Bynx, for your detailed explanation, very helpful!

I will certainly give it a try (when I have more time, as it's just after midnight here!)... yawn! I didn't realise the additional benefit of photoshop AFTER a hdr is produced, but I really appreciate you pointing this out to me.

Have received your pm and replied. Thanks!!

Again, I appreciate you looking at this post and for all your contribution

Best wishes,

Paul
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:50 PM   #17

...and I've been insomniac by experience, especially thanks to innovative mates at Steve's such as yourself, my friend :-)Btw, as you may know, Matt( longside1)often posts some very tempting HDRs!

As for the images, botanical garden was actually a great place for the session! The last one appealed to me the most I'd like toknowif you compared aPhotoshopRAW processed imageoriginally shot at0 EV compensation (and with lots of DR!), toan HDR output from this series!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:16 AM   #18

Hi Bahadir, my "insomniac" friend.

I remember your philosophy that too much sleep isn't good either! :blah:

Yes, I've seen quite a number of HDR's around here at Steve's, it's good to get encouraged to try... and with thanks to help and input from people, e.g. Bynx, yourself, Matt aka longside1... I can learn and hopefully improve on this.

In this instance I shot JPEG, so I don't have a RAW at 0EV to compare using shadow / highlight. RAW (in general circumstances) gives about 1EV of extra DR compared to JPEG... though not always.

I could try doing a comparison between a shadow/highlighted from one of these JPEG photos... and in another instance do a "test" specifically testing a RAW shadow highlight vs HDR difference.

But all this will have to wait for another night. It's about midnight... and I must do some preparation before bed and sleep... and as I'm only in my 2nd week in a new job as a manager of a government deptartment here in Australia... I don't want to be too sleepy! (you know, "good starts" and first impressions are v important!)

Thanks for looking... and yes I can understand why you appreciate the last one the most.

Regards

Paul
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:42 PM   #19

These are great HDRs i like all of them, I've never did a HDR so i might just try it as well, Oh and do get at least 8 hours of sleep a night that's when your body loves to recover
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:29 AM   #20

hercules wrote:
Quote:
These are great HDRs i like all of them, I've never did a HDR so i might just try it as well, Oh and do get at least 8 hours of sleep a night that's when your body loves to recover
Hi Hercules!

Thanks for appreciating these photos.

Well, I'm sure you'll be able to make some great HDR's! Looking forward to your post....

"recover"... from what? Work, play? :| Or photography?

Thanks for looking!!

Paul