Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1

Taken with my cell phone. I've seen them before, but this one was almost as bright as the Sun, which is to the right of the Sun dog.

They can form when there are ice crystals in the atmosphere, oriented so that they have their flat sides facing vertically. There are always two, but the one on the right was rather dim. This one was very bright. Ironically, I was going into a science curriculum meeting. When I went into the conference room, I mentioned the phenomenon, and the meeting was temporarily adjourned until everyone could go out and take a look at it.

I was also going to get a shot of the comet (between Cassiopea and the Pleiades about 9:30 tonight) but it was cloudy. Darn.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

Man, that is bright. Comet? What comet is this? Somehow I missed this little tidbit of astronomical info. Thanks. I'll head out and have a look No clouds here.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:28 PM   #3

Comet Holmes. It is unusual, in that it recently became about a million times brighter (probably because of a big outgassing from the interior).

Near the constellation Perseus, and brighter than the brightest star in that Constellation.

Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:51 PM   #4

Thanks, I will have to drag out the ol' Celestron and have a peek.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

Cool, there it was. Right in the middle of the constellation Perseus. A big fuzzy ball of haze. Many thanks Barbarian. I will be explaining the location to my science classes tomorrow.
Sorry your view was blocked. Hopefully, you'll get a shot at it in the next couple of days.
All the best,
Steve
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:06 AM   #6

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
When I went into the conference room, I mentioned the phenomenon, and the meeting was temporarily adjourned until everyone could go out and take a look at iT
Theymust have toldwords ofthankfulness for the literal! fresh airyou brought with thisgreat opportunity of field observation:-)Take minefor granted ; )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:27 AM   #7

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
They can form when there are ice crystals in the atmosphere, oriented so that they have their flat sides facing vertically.....Ironically, I was going into a science curriculum meeting.
I was going to start a new thread, with my own similar efforts, until just in time I remembered I'd already done itin the 'Biweekly Shooutout' forum in August, at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...790901#p790901

I expect most of you would have been young enough & bright enough to recognize it as a retread. There are a couple of relevant technical references in that thread.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:54 AM   #8

Technically, what you photographed is a parhelion, a rainbow on each side of the sun caused by ice crystals that are not aligned vertically.

I believe what you are describing in your earlier post could produce that effect. From my personal observations, a faint parhelion often accompanies sun dogs. Although it is not visible in my picture,one such wasthere.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:02 PM   #9

Well spotted nice shot with the cell phone........................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote