Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1

just boost the contrast noise reduction sharpness and saturation to the max?
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2
spy

It's not a good idea to boost anything to the max as a 'one setting for ALL sunsets' or for any type of shot for that matter.

As you see not too many replies as your question leaves us all wondering,...or at least I'm wondering what it is your trying to achieve by boosting all your settings to the max.

For me my settings 'in-camera' are somewhere between mid point and max, noise reduction is just "on" for slower timed shutter shots and the rest is just done post processing with cs3 to my liking.

I always shoot my sunrise/sunsets with ISO's set to 100 or in other words at it's lowest setting and in turn this type of shot will produce next to nill noticeable noise so if you run the shot through any noise reduction program after, your not going to run that program set to "max" otherwise you'll just destroy sensitive detail and make it look like "plastic".

Sharpness is another thing you want to be careful with to not cause "haloing" due to over sharpening.

So instead of thinking 'everything set to max', take everything in moderation according to what is given you at the time you take the shot and you'll probably be much happier with the final outcome.

Hope this helps.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:52 AM   #3

When you have a glorious sunset in front of you, why not take lots of images at different settings? Look at the exif settings afterwards to see what worked for you & your camera and that particular sunset. Or just inspect the images on the LCD as you go along, and keep shooting until you get a few that look good.

You may, that way, get a better idea of what settings to start with next time. But the glory of sunsets is that they're all different, and there are several different artworks to be made from any moment in any sunset.

Even in the olden days of film when it cost real money, I used to take many differently zoomed & composed shots, often with bracketed exposures, ofany glorious sunset. Quite often I'd get a set containing several good, but quite different images.

It's much easier to do that with digicams. It's also much easier if you can adjust exposure by eye with a live preview, preferably through an electronic viewfinder.This sometimes means having a cheaper camera rather than a more expensive one.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote