Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1

I was driving around Central Alberta looking for anything that moved and came across this little rink built by a farmer who no doubt built it for either a son or grandson so they could play hockey on the frozen pond all winter long.

The scene included a lawn chair, a small pile of firewood for evening skating as well as a few bails of hay, probably set up for kindling, and a cleared portion of a pond for skating and hockey (since a goal was also evident). I was impressed by the scenario and thought for a moment about Wayne Gretzky and his daddy, but I had only a 100-400 on my Mark III and needed a wide angle shot to include the necessary details.

Photostitch:
I decided to take two quick shots from my vehicle, one at one end and one at the other, in hopes that Photostitch would be able to combine the shot into a reasonable wide angle shot. This is the result and I was not unhappy with the result of the stitch at least.

Reminded me of the history of hockey and why Canadian hockey players were so talented, they practiced on these ponds all winter long, and it seems that the tradition continues.

I don't post here much, but thanks for having a look.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

Very cool capture! A coworker & I were just talking about hockey & that Buffalo & Pittsburgh game that they played outside on the first. I just thought that that was the coolest thing ...actually playing an NHL game outside with all the snow blowing. The way it oughta be!

Thanks for sharing! As a lifelong resident of southern Illinois, I don't have a clue of homemade ice rinks!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:07 PM   #3

Not much to know about homemade ice rinks. Find a frozen pond, clear off the ice and you got NHL action in a few minutes. But no board checking. :blah:
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:37 PM   #4

I'm a western Canadian...grew up in Manitoba and my Father used to put up a framework of wood around our backyard...then flood the back yard with the garden hose, which would make a great skating rink during the winter. I played defense on hockey teams, from about 6 yrs. old to 15 and during that time, only once played inside. All our hockey rinks back then were outside. Cold when it was 25 to 40 below.

Great pictures...took me back to my childhood.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote