Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:33 AM   #1

A sunset at the beach, my first one the the new Canon 40D camera.

Attached Images

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:27 AM   #2

This is waythe shot came out of the camera, the first one is the way it really looked. Not surewhy the out of camera shot looks so far off from the real scene.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:40 AM   #3

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Not surewhy the out of camera shot looks so far off from the real scene.
Because the single intense light source and the bright reflection fooled the exposure meter.

I rather like both your pictures. With sunsets, I've always found it's best to take lots of differently exposed shots. It's quite likely they'll all be lovely pictures, and picking the best will be a matter of taste.

Making it look as you remember is more challenging. The supercomputer in your head will do far more, far better processing than any software. Especially if it's a remembered image not in front of you right now, which will be processed in a way that makes raw or jpg look stupid, and may even bear little relation to reality. But what was reality?

A live EVF preview, showingwhat the image might look like,could well be useful, but you may have to go a long way downmarket, e.g., to my Kodak Z712is superzoom for that. However, taking lots of shots and inspecting them on the spot is a good substitute. I often need to do that as well.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:42 AM   #4

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
A live EVF preview, showingwhat the image might look like,could well be useful, but you may have to go a long way downmarket, e.g., to my Kodak Z712is superzoom for that. However, taking lots of shots and inspecting them on the spot is a good substitute. I often need to do that as well.
Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion, the Canon 40D does have Live View that can be used before taking a shot. Just need acamera clothto block the light (cloth hood as we used to with the old veiw cameras to cover your heads and camera) so I can see the LCD in thedaytime.

Thanks for looking and the comments.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:21 PM   #5

In the first place, both are still inspiring images, and there's really good explanation by Alan above!

You might also try merging the differently exposed images into a HDR. Well, I tried an 'automated'quick one out of the twoimages, which mightappear mariginally more natural perhaps..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 PM   #6

at times i use a hood to block the sun and reflection off the water. the eye strain kills me. my wife is going blind so i think about this alot. i posted bc sunsets about 2 weeks back. i used a 30d and a hood i can focus better and see the last image taken little eye strain. i use a black cotton hood. the other thing most people stay away from you.rick

:idea: :|
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:34 PM   #7

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Just need acamera clothto block the light (cloth hood as we used to with the old veiw cameras to cover your heads and camera) so I can see the LCD in thedaytime.
Aha, here's another chance to exhibit my greatest photographic invention, using readily available materials. One like it is still in occasional use on my little Casio pocket digicam. You can hold it in place by pressing one end against your eye socket and the other against the camera.

You'll need kitchen roll for your nice big dSLR screen, rather than the core from a toilet roll as here. I have mine wrapped in parcel tape for durability, and it squashes flat to fit even into the small case I have for the Casio.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:37 AM   #8

Bahadir, your combining to the two pictures looks great. Going to have to give that technique a try real soon.

Alan T, interesting looking photo aid you have made.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:59 AM   #9

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hi,

All pictures here are great.

I want to lift this thread further one step and try a postulate:

It is impossible to remember the "real" colours.

Why? You cannot recreate the overall light/colour context in which your motiv is a part.

This is a epistemological matter of great importance. Is it possible to "put the world within parenthesis"? Is it possible to alienate yourself enough from the here and the now to see things clearly, whatever that is

Edmund Husserl and his phenomenological followers, J P Sartre for example, did some great thinking on these matters

The Digic lll processor program is written on the basis of millions of pictures that people have made through the years. Still the camera can be fooled and we can stand there without a "place to hang your hat"

Thanks for posting, Calicajun

Torgny

Picture of Edmund Husserl

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:29 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

And, for the fun of it, what "in the world" did Sarte see with these eyes:-)

/T

Calicajun! Hope you donĀ“t mind me posting these portraits in your thread.

Regarding your picture you might consider letting the light metering follow a focus point of your choice

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote