Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:10 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Got to learn that stiching technique. This is with a little help of my friend, Mr L

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:32 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Aspect ratio 7:1

Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:04 AM   #3

Aspect ratio 8:1

- "Ay, ay. The roaring sea. Ay, ay"

Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:42 AM   #4

Hello Torgny,

Interesting series of panorama's there! Well done.

Just my opinion, I prefer photo 2 more than photo 1, as I find the number of windmills more interesting (in the left of photo 2) - and there is too much "emptiness" in photo 1 (the right side).

About photo 3, how many photos were stitched together for this? So did Mr L do this (not you?) I thought "moving" photos (like water / waves) would be more difficult to do well.... but maybe with some "clever" joining it's possible!

Thanks for sharing!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:18 PM   #5

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Torgny,

Interesting series of panorama's there! Well done.

Just my opinion, I prefer photo 2 more than photo 1, as I find the number of windmills more interesting (in the left of photo 2) - and there is too much "emptiness" in photo 1 (the right side).

About photo 3, how many photos were stitched together for this? So did Mr L do this (not you?) I thought "moving" photos (like water / waves) would be more difficult to do well.... but maybe with some "clever" joining it's possible!

Thanks for sharing!

Paul
Hello Paul,

Thanks for viewing and commenting. I posted these "pseudo panoramas" mostly for fun. The format I prefer is 2:3

I don´t know how to stich pictures together so I took a pair of pictures done with a Canon L lens (the EF 17-40 L) That lens can make very, very sharp pictures handled the right way.

It allows heavy cropping. So I just cropped some pictures 6:1, 7:1 and 6:1. Mister L is just a metaphore for sharp Canon lenses :-)

The pictures. Yes I too prefer the second one. If I happen to have any photographic mission, it is to make as nice pictures of wind power plants as I can. Perhaps to make people see that they can add to the beauty of a landscape

The wave picture. I don´t quite understand what you mean. Can you elaborate. I´m very interested.

Last sunday there was a storm (gale) I grabbed my camera and took some pictures.

If you want you can use any of them to explain what you mean

Torgny
Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:27 PM   #6

/T

Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:26 AM   #7

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
... It allows heavy cropping. So I just cropped some pictures 6:1, 7:1 and 6:1. Mister L is just a metaphore for sharp Canon lenses :-)

The wave picture. I don´t quite understand what you mean. Can you elaborate. I´m very interested.

Last sunday there was a storm (gale) I grabbed my camera and took some pictures.

Torgny
Hi Torgny again. Thanks for writing back. OK, now I understand... the "Mr L" is your L lens! I really thought it was an (anonymous) friend! (who stitched the photos together for you, on his computer / using his program!)

I also now understand what you mean that you can crop heavily... and these are NO stitches.

Because the "stitch" programs I've seen rely on "overlap" (e.g. a similar part of one (e.g. right) side of photo A which is the SAME, left part of photo B) - I've noted that it only really works on landscapes, where this is no movement!

That's why I wrote that I thought doing a stitch (as I thought your 3rd photo was) would have been difficult, because no two waves would be the same, and the "stitching program" would not have an overlap. (hope that is understandable).

But because it's a crop, it is understandable and much simpler how you did it... yet still very effective.

Well done. By the way I love your "storm" photos... they capture the feeling of power and motion of the water.

What you wrote about wind power ("The pictures. Yes I too prefer the second one. If I happen to have any photographic mission, it is to make as nice pictures of wind power plants as I can. Perhaps to make people see that they can add to the beauty of a landscape").

I also hope one day (in the not too distant future) we'll have most or all of our electricity by means like wind power. Yesterday my wife and I went to a national park area (about 1 hour south of Adelaide where we live) and there were about 12 wind powered turbines. Didn't at all distract from the beauty of that hilly area, in my humble opinion!! I pray Australia will learn to harness it's wind more effectively and lead / join many countries in changing to non-polluting / non-fossil-fuel based means of electricity!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:52 AM   #8

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Torgny

That's why I wrote that I thought doing a stitch (as I thought your 3rd photo was) would have been difficult, because no two waves would be the same, and the "stitching program" would not have an overlap. (hope that is understandable).

By the way I love your "storm" photos... they capture the feeling of power and motion of the water.

Paul
Paul, Thanks for the positive judgement on the two non-pseudo-panoramas. This is my first try to catch the "roaring-of-the-sea-ay-ay". I want to make such pictures (almost) audible

If you have any tips on how to really create that expression/impression without endangering the camera by exposing it to salt (-ay-ay) water - please share it with me.

Seems marine oil painters do a better job than photographers here

Torgny

Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:53 PM   #9

Nice shots....I like#1 the panorama, just like a fine ink drawing...................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:23 PM   #10

musket wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots....I like#1 the panorama, just like a fine ink drawing...................musket.
Thanks, musket. Never thought about it that way. It´s a great thing that we see things differently- what if we saw and expressed things the same way

Torgny