Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:49 PM   #11

Interesting shots and information too.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:24 AM   #12

These shots remind me how close our countries are.. We have the same graves and a lot of castle hills in latvia.. I have gowed up with those tales told by aunt..

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Irena
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:12 AM   #13

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

musket wrote:
Quote:
Great series of shots ...interesting trek...................musket.
Thanks, musket :-)

Since you are my confessor I must add that it was not that much of a hardship to get to the sites as I might have given an impression of.

As most of the time you can get along pretty well with high rubber boots, especially the make Tretorn (Three Towers), prevernting from snake bite (in the summer that is) and other inconveniences

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:19 AM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Calicajun. It must be said that this is the Bronze Age in the Nordic European countries (1500-500 B.C.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age

gives more information. I´m not that much of a historian to judge the content, but I thought that the European Bronze Age must be seen in a broader context

/T

Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:47 AM   #15

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
These shots remind me how close our countries are.. We have the same graves and a lot of castle hills in latvia.. I have gowed up with those tales told by aunt..

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Irena
Yes, Irena. As a boy I imagined how it would be to cross the Baltic Sea by the kind of boats/vessels they made at the time.

If I understand it right, amber found at the shores of Latvia (Lettland in swedish) was one of the the products that found it's way over here

Thanks for viewing

/T

Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:03 PM   #16

That's true about the amber..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:02 PM   #17

Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Calicajun. It must be said that this is the Bronze Age in the Nordic European countries (1500-500 B.C.)

gives more information. I´m not that much of a historian to judge the content, but I thought that the European Bronze Age must be seen in a broader context..
[/i][/b]

Well indeed, Torgny! There's much much more about Bronze Age.. You know, as philosopher Empedocles put it: "Love and strife make the world go round"! The tension between the firstcity statesof the Neolithicagebrought acompetition between societies. About 3.500 B.C they invented the strong bronze, by mixing two soft metals, copper and tin, which were commonly used in Neolithic age. The invention of bronze brought a great change in human history and thus starts a new age entitled, the Bronze Age!

The societies who possessed this alloy in large quantities even by nature or by trade used it to provide their legions with swords, axes, draggers, arrowheads, helmets and shields of bronze,making the burden a soldier on footnearly 40 kilograms, which prevented him from individual acts and forced him to be a part of a big entity acting as one, like a meat grinder. Individual courage and skill was thus surpassed by the ability of working together.Consequently they ruled over other societies who did not have it.This trend led the emergence of central authorities, namely, kingdoms. And only a few centuries after casting bronze, humans invented writing...

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:32 PM   #18

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:

gives more information. I´m not that much of a historian to judge the content, but I thought that the European Bronze Age must be seen in a broader context..

Well indeed, Torgny! There's much much more about Bronze Age.. You know, as philosopher Empedocles put it: "Love and strife make the world go round"! The tension between the firstcity statesof the Neolithicagebrought acompetition between societies. About 3.500 B.C they invented the strong bronze, by mixing two soft metals, copper and tin, which were commonly used in Neolithic age. The invention of bronze brought a great change in human history and thus starts a new age entitled, the Bronze Age!

The societies who possessed this alloy in large quantities even by nature or by trade used it to provide their legions with swords, axes, draggers, arrowheads, helmets and shields of bronze,making the burden a soldier on footnearly 40 kilograms, which prevented him from individual acts and forced him to be a part of a big entity acting as one, like a meat grinder. Individual courage and skill was thus surpassed by the ability of working together.Consequently they ruled over other societies who did not have it.This trend led the emergence of central authorities, namely, kingdoms. And only a few centuries after casting bronze, humans invented writing...

Bahadır
Thanks, bahadir, for viewing and the information. Dialectic materialism rules even by non-marxists. There is no other way. Hope you are (as) comfortable with the nomenclature (as this threader)

War history. Meat grinder. Great. Civilization

Reporter: "Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western civilization?" Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea!" ...

Cheers

Torgny

Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:37 PM   #19

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, bahadir, for viewing and the information. Dialectic materialism rules even by non-marxists. There is no other way. Hope you are (as) comfortable with the nomenclature (as this threader)

Reporter: "Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western civilization?" Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea!" ...
My pleasure, Torgny... and thanks for the quotation in return!

Though Ido not engage myself to anyparticularschool when dealing with history, hereI'd like toshare anideaby Marx which I quiteappreciare: The awareness of the feeling of discomfort aboutsth. is the first step of getting ridit

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:14 PM   #20

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

My pleasure, Torgny... and thanks for the quotation in return!

Though Ido not engage myself to anyparticularschool when dealing with history, hereI'd like toshare anideaby Marx which I quiteappreciare: The awareness of the feeling of discomfort aboutsth. is the first step of getting ridit

True, bahadir. Your post texts often are hermeneutically challenging. Often have to think twice. I like that

My recipy for a historian's long drink

Ingredients

1 fruity, juicy Hegel
1 deciliter ice from the permafrost areas
33 centiliter Moskovskaija

Shake well.
Be sure to turn it upside down.

Decorate with a red Rose from Luxembourg

/T