Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:20 AM   #1

10 days ago I climbed a local hill as a cold sunset approached, aiming to photograph the surroundings in the evening light (more of that later). In the gathering gloom I descended to civilisation to see the welcome sight of our local pub beckoning and tempting me scenically across the fields. Sadly I had to go home to cook the evening meal instead.

The pub is called 'The Copper Mine', because there was such a mine about a mile away, 150-odd years ago. Entertainingly, the pub wascalled 'The Royal Oak' until the mid-1980s, and then had a makeover and a new name. It was redecorated with old photographs of 19th century mining activity, looking suspiciouslyN. American,recaptioned with local names, but with dates from the 1700s, long predating the invention of photography.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:24 AM   #2

I had arrived on the crest of the hill in time for sunset, but too late for the foreground scenery. It was a memorable sunset, but better images will need another trip as I feared benightment on dangerous ground...
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:36 AM   #3

...but I was there for another reason. A few days earlier, I had been there in daylight, to seek viewpoints for both the local Village Hall, at the crossroads on the left, and the village itself on the right. A picture is required for the Hall, to accompany another panorama I took of the surroundings. This is a first attempt, from the only viewpoint I could find for both the Hall and the village, without any obscuring trees.

As you can see, this unfinished project will need lots more visits on better days, and careful use of tripod & spirit level, and with the sun in the right place. I'm posting this preliminary effort as background to the pub picture, and to provide me with an incentive.I'll try & entertain you all with future efforts. Remind me in a few months' time! The original is 21000 pixels wide.
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:44 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alan,

Very entertaining/informative/personal series. No, I won´t forget. Let´s say first week in June

Wonderful pictures; the mist gradated in sweeping lines. Beautiful. What will you drink, during your effort to complete the panorama.

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:23 PM   #5

I am especiallydrawn in by#1 with such beautiful layers appearing through the mist thanks to your tasteful composition!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:50 PM   #6

Hello Alan, some lovely shots, as bahadir said, the composition on the first is very good.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote