Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

I was waiting for the bus thinkingI had lost a great deal of my patience required for meditation, when Isaw the piece of beautywaiting behind me!

Just turned around and fired the shutter 5 timesat (+) (- ) 1.5 EV intervals tobe merged!
Attached Images
 
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,482
Default

There's NEVER a bad time to work on your HDR skills, and this is quite good for the luminence range!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
There's NEVER a bad time to work on your HDR skills, and this is quite good for the luminence range!
Oh, for someone who has to commute everyday, it became almost habitual ( the car isinvariably at my wife's disposal) :-)

Thank you for the incentive, Greg !

Btw, below is a heavy crop from the one you see above, which still seems to work for me
Attached Images
 
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
musket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Default

Interesting experiment, the trees being rigid over 5 shots stay in focus

but movement blur is very noticable on the flimsy grass, I wonder what

the difference would be just using highlight midtone and shadow adjustments

on just one exposure, subjects that dont move seem to be the best for

software program HDR..IMO......:idea:.................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Dear musket, I feelprivilegedreading your elaborate feedbackbasing on your keen observation skill and knowledge : ) Well,belowis one of the five shots(the exifis embedded)tweaked a littlefor theshadow areas. However try hard as I may, l can't see a noticable difference in sharpness, except the hdr crop above beingbetter defined in shadow areas, imo :?

Well, both are heavy crops from the big picture anyway..
Attached Images
 
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

and here's the big picture,
Attached Images
 
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
musket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Dear musket, I feelprivilegedreading your elaborate feedbackbasing on your keen observation skill and knowledge : ) Well,belowis one of the five shots (the exifis embedded)tweaked a littlefor theshadow areas. However try hard as I may, l can't see a noticable difference in sharpness, except the hdr crop above beingbetter defined in shadow areas, imo :?

Well, both are heavy crops from the big picture anyway..
I agree the program HDR seems to have the edge here.

maybe the iso at 100 and 1/125sec to freeze the scene

could have been upped to 1/250 and iso 200.:idea: Also I have noticed

on 'my own shots' over a period of time that it is better to get the

shots framed and straightened in the viewfinder before shooting

as rotating the shots afterwards muddies/smears the photo's

so now I havethe viewfinder grid always switched on and look for

horizontalsor verticals in the scene (if they are available) to line up

this idea seems to work out pretty goodso far :-)............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default


bahadir wrote:
Quote:
I was waiting for the bus thinkingI had lost a great deal of my patience required for meditation, when Isaw the piece of beautywaiting behind me!
Behind or just around a corner you have chosen or a corner you could have chosen. My technical knowledge is somewhat insufficient to take part in the mini diskussion but perhaps I can contribute with an observation and an unusual and perhaps funny way to walk

Quite simple: walking backwards taking picture on the motives you are leaving . How does that differ from the normal way?

The well known tracks you are following becomes something else. Perhaps this is just nonsense :-)

The old greeks looked backwards at an golden age but they must have moved forward

Late night

Thank you, bahadir. Light and shadow

/T




Attached Images
 
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,482
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
There's NEVER a bad time to work on your HDR skills, and this is quite good for the luminence range!
Oh, for someone who has to commute everyday, it became almost habitual ( the car isinvariably at my wife's disposal) :-)

Thank you for the incentive, Greg !

Btw, below is a heavy crop from the one you see above, which still seems to work for me

That is excellent.

You know, I have had much more luck (and fun)shooting this type subject with my cameras that use electronic finders or no finders at all other than the LCD on the back....at least, getting it "right" the first time. I can get it right with a DSLR, but usually at the cost of 2-3 frames to tweek the settings vs. doing it right the first shot and moving on. Obviously, given the time to do it right, I prefer the images off the bigger sensors, but they aren't as easy to have on you all the time....unless you don't mind the weight all the time

Using the live histogram and spot metering, I've enjoyed shooting these high contrast/backlit-type scenes with my Panasonic TZ3..











Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

musket wrote:
Quote:
I agree the program HDR seems to have the edge here.

maybe the iso at 100 and 1/125sec to freeze the scene

could have been upped to 1/250 and iso 200.:idea: Also I have noticed

on 'my own shots' over a period of time that it is better to get the

shots framed and straightened in the viewfinder before shooting

as rotating the shots afterwards muddies/smears the photo's

so now I havethe viewfinder grid always switched on and look for

horizontalsor verticals in the scene (if they are available) to line up

this idea seems to work out pretty goodso far :-)............musket.
Dear musket, thank you so much again for sharing your valuable experinces

As a matter of fact, higher shutter speed iseven more vitalfor HDR shootingbecause assuming youdialed 2 steps EV bracketingfor 5 frames, the camera will be shooting at4 steps lower shutter speed than thefirst frame @ '0' EV, which is prone to any kind of movement!On the other handhigher shutter speed means higher iso, which is no good for already 'noise-rich' nature of HDR : (

Oh, I also detected such phenomenon:!: after roatation and cropping, anything that could upset the aspect ratio,especiallywith the images from my previous camera! However, now, thought at firsttheimage quality seems to deteriorate at first, it becomes OK again after saving it! Btw, I've been happily using the photoshop for resizing for some time : )

..................................................



Torgny, that's a lovely image you attached, which makesquite adecent object for meditation (ah, if memory serves!!)

Your words reminded me of a statement bySteven Jobs, co-founder of Apple computers, while giving aspeech tostudents at Stadford University: You can onlyconnect the dots lookingbackwards!!

recommendable; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA


bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.