Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:14 AM   #1

A couple of shot of the Grand Canyon. I am experimenting with different conversion techniques.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Jul 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:14 AM   #2

One more. Enjoy.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Jul 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:58 AM   #3

Hi, Bill! Haven't seen you around forsome while!!

Both portrait and landscape orientations are quite appealing in terms of composition in which you merged a dramatic sight of the clouds and the canyon.. and your B&W conversion intensified the 'drama' thereI wonder if you could apply the striking light shade effect on the foregroundhill in thefirstpicture tosome hillsin the second picture as well, oh though the lighting conditions may be different...IMO one (the observer)coudfurtheradmire them inlarger size!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:43 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments my friend. I don't know how to apply "striking light shade" in PSE5 but there may be a way. Clearly the first photo has some strong light giving a nice contrasty conversion. The second was late in the afternoon and lighting was very soft.. it is pretty spectacular in color but I liked the foreboding look of the sky in the conversion.

Cheers,
Bill

Wish this thing has spell check!!!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:44 AM   #5

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your comments my friend. I don't know how to apply "striking light shade" in PSE5 but there may be a way. Clearly the first photo has some strong light giving a nice contrasty conversion. The second was late in the afternoon and lighting was very soft.. it is pretty spectacular in color but I liked the foreboding look of the sky in the conversion.
Oh, it's been delightful to comment on these inspirational pictures, my friend Youmust have beenenjoying your D300 replacement for almost a year, after the D200; )

Actually, as with the somewhat 'punchier' landscape in the fist one, the second photo also tastefully conveys the qualities you described andtherefore requires no excuse! I simply intended to be able to emphasize the rugged terrain (one of my most favourites in the world!)abit more without upsetting the lighting conditions, by a 'local' layers blending job @PS. Hope you don't mind : )

Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:33 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Curmudgeon wrote:

Quote:
A couple of shot of the Grand Canyon. I am experimenting with different conversion techniques.

Cheers,
Bill
Great conversions, Bill. Colour is a secondary property, in comparizon with the primary; form

Impressive, expressive photographs

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:54 PM   #7

Thanks Torgny, I find going back into my ten thousand photos or so and looking at them with a conversion in mind makes for some spectacular finds. Some are just ho-hum in color but converted they speak volumes artistically. It makes me not only look at the color of my potential subjects but also the contrast. It has broadened my eye for photography.

Bahadir,

I don't mind your edit at all... well only one requirement when you edit my photos.... you must edify the group with the method used. We await your lesson.

Cheers,
Bill

Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:56 PM   #8

I am still struggling to learn the full potential of layers!!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:40 AM   #9

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir,

I don't mind your edit at all... well only one requirement when you edit my photos.... you must edify the group with the method used. We await your lesson.
Quote:

I am still struggling to learn the full potential of layers!!!!!
Dear Bill, I'd gladly elaboratewhat I've donebut 'lesson' would a bit too much formyhumbleprocess: )

First Iselected the desired area with the lasso tool, which wasthe land, made two more copies ofthe originalwith the light/shade tool, merged the threecopies via 'exposure blending' atPhotomatix (you may use the thesame toolin Photoshop), and thenopenedthe'blended copy'in photoshop againto drag it onto the original copy (but selecting an opacity of %50 or sth). Finally I erased (find the eraser tool on the left!) theareas of the 'dragged layer' which was more desirable on the underlying original. You may decide to increase the opacity after that final step, which I left as it was! Please feel free to ask further in case I've bungled with explanation:G

Cheers!

Bahadır