Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:23 AM   #1

A lot is said about RAW versus JPG shooting and in some cameras

the results are very different betwen the two.

Here is the same scene shot in two versons ofraw and jpg with the D80

no PPonly resizing has been applied.

If you can't decide which is which then check the file names :-)

I usually use DXO before PP these days:-)

so here is the DXO version before PP, file just resized

maybe not that much difference here, the benefits are more noticeable after PP :-)

................:|............musket.

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:53 AM   #2

3, the raw file, is much better in the reproduction of colors. I have been thinking that in all the three shots, the exposure value was kept the same, wasn't it? Peter
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:55 AM   #3

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
3, the raw file, is much better in the reproduction of colors. I have been thinking that in all the three shots, the exposure value was kept the same, wasn't it? Peter
Yes Peter the value was kept the same.............musket.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:19 AM   #4

Well Musket i can't tell the difference except that the last shot seems the colors stand out more, but here are a few shots taken with my new 450D one in Jpeg and then RAW,

and then here is RAW put through PS CS3 so i don't know opinions vary but I'd just assume to just shoot in Jpeg

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:29 AM   #5

Well, I could immediately tell a difference. Subtle, but it is there. I still cannot quite put my finger on it, but the second image is definitely crisper, or something. I noticed it in the sky right off, and upon closer inspection could see it in the grass and driveway.

I noticed this picture is very cloudy so the light is kind of low. I would be very interested to see the comparison in other situations, bright sun, indoors, nighttime, flash, action, etc. My little Canon G9 has a RAW setting which I never remember to use. I always wonder if it would be worthwhile.

Very interesting stuff musket.
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:57 AM   #6

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Well Musket i can't tell the difference except that the last shot seems the colors stand out more, but here are a few shots taken with my new 450D one in Jpeg and then RAW,

and then here is RAW put through PS CS3 so i don't know opinions vary but I'd just assume to just shoot in Jpeg

Thanks for the feedback

Congrats on the new cam, some very good shots it's taking as well

the difference in thoseIMO iscolour strength and contrast and if I

put them in order strongest first

1. JPG

2. Ps cs3

3. raw

Some scenes may warrant a softer take others a harder

so a lot to choose from there.

Good purchase,I wonder if youopted for a kit or

just a body? asI know you have quite a few suitable lenses.

..........:|.............musket.

Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:02 AM   #7

coachjames wrote:
Quote:
Well, I could immediately tell a difference. Subtle, but it is there. I still cannot quite put my finger on it, but the second image is definitely crisper, or something. I noticed it in the sky right off, and upon closer inspection could see it in the grass and driveway.

I noticed this picture is very cloudy so the light is kind of low. I would be very interested to see the comparison in other situations, bright sun, indoors, nighttime, flash, action, etc. My little Canon G9 has a RAW setting which I never remember to use. I always wonder if it would be worthwhile.

Very interesting stuff musket.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, maybe we need a CRT monitor to nit-pick better:-)

mine is a lcd screen monitor................:|...........musket.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:55 AM   #8

musket wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback

1. JPG

2. Ps cs3

3. raw

Actually the last one was PS CS3 (raw that was PP in CS3 then converted to Jpeg) yes i really like the 450D and only bought the body since i have the 17-85 IS and a few others also in the other picture section on my topic with the Sigma 18-200 OS that lens didn't work out and i returned it
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:51 AM   #9

Good comparison, musket, which made me download the trial version of DXO and compare with the CS3!The DXO has a lot of controls and givescrisp results by default but in the end I found it hard to leave the controls of CS3 like 'fill light'.

As for the jpeg and raw comparison, it changes with different camera makes and models. I used the Nikon D40x as back up for a while and I should say I didn't care much shooting raw at all! However I invariably shoot raw withthe K10D. Now, should you download the full size jpeg and raw studioshots with the D80by Phil(DP reviews) there's no discernibledifferenceeven at 100% enlargement, imo.Some colours (especially reds) looked a tad punchier to me at jpeg! (whichis a matter of finding one's ideal adjustmentat raw conversion of course) . Well...as long as the pictures are perfectly exposed under good lighting, I'd use the jpeg with your camera. But the nerly one stopdynamic range advantage of the raw (could only be acquired by processing though) shouldn't beoverlooked for contrasty scenes ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:39 AM   #10

hercules wrote:
Quote:
musket wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback

1. JPG

2. Ps cs3

3. raw

Actually the last one was PS CS3 (raw that was PP in CS3 then converted to Jpeg) yes i really like the 450D and only bought the body since i have the 17-85 IS and a few others also in the other picture section on my topic with the Sigma 18-200 OS that lens didn't work out and i returned it
re sigma: Great, glad you got it sorted...........musket.