Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:23 PM   #1

I know I shot the sun. It was setting behind the mountain. The EXEF data confirms this. This is the southwestern direction . Yet, it look like a moon but yellow. Any ideas what happened? Maybe the sun has shadings like the moon but it is so bright we cannot see it and the camera picked it up.
Caryl
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2

No, the sun doesn't have shading like that. It might have a few spots, but you wouldn't see them in a photo that size. I was about to say you took the moon, but the shading doesn't seem to match the moon's patterns either, plus you said it was sunset in the southwest. the moon rising at the same time, which is when its full, would have been in the east. Are you sure you were looking west? It could be that this is the moon and some of the patterns were washed out. The moon does change colors as it sets. It depends on the time of year and how dirty the air is out towards the horizon.

Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:02 AM   #3

This is my backyard and it is south west but more west. The Pacific ocean is just to the right of this mountain. I once shot into the setting sun right over the ocean with this camera and it looked like a moonscape. It is a Nikon D70. I do not remember which lens i used on it since I have several but the moonscape one was quite unusual
Here is the moonscape.
Attached Images

Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:40 PM   #4

Hey Caryl, I don't dispute that you say you shot the Sun but that image looks like the Moon because it IS the Moon. I don't know what happened either but that is definitely the Moon.

As for your second picture, I have no clue what caused the effect on your Sun but, I like the result. It sets a very interesting mood.

This image is a little clearer but you can make out all of the same dark (Maria) areas that are also in your image. Good luck with the "what happened to the Sun I took mystery". But, this mystery is solved.

All the best,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5

Thank you for that info. I do not remember the moon ever being over that mountain but it does look like your moon. I know the other was the sun for sure.
Caryl
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:27 PM   #6

Thank you for that info. I do not remember the moon ever being over that mountain but it does look like your moon. I know the other was the sun for sure.
Caryl
Old Oct 3, 2008, 5:13 AM   #7

I have an excellentprogram called 'Skymap' (http://www.skymap.com/) which will draw the sky with locations of astronomical objects visiblefrom any location on Earth at any date & time. The author lives in Warrington UK.

So if you post here or send me the exif date and time (preferably converted to GMT), from each image and the camera's latitude and longitude, I'll post an image showing you where the sun & moon were then & there !

I last used it in June to produce an inset map in the 'Biweekly Shootout' forum 'Shooting the Moon' here on Steve's at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=592070&forum_id=85
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:44 PM   #8

Dear Caryl, actually that mystery seems to have been solved...Now the mystery of mysteries lies beyond. Loved the curtain-like leafybranches opening toCelestia!

Cheers,

Bahadır

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 5:36 PM   #9

Thank you Alan and Bahadir for your comments.. I guess the top one is a moon but the other IS the sun I do not know what i did with the originals so i do not have all the info on them. I must figure out a system where I can save the original and still work on it.
Caryl
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:21 PM   #10

amazing

robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote