Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1

went up to Mt. Baker near the Canadian border today, hoping to get some fall color. not much on the way, and not as much as i'd have liked once i got there, but i did manage some decent shots of Baker itself, with some colorful fall foliage to set off the snow and blue sky... like many of the larger peaks in the coastal mountains, Baker is a dormant volcano, and is known for its record snowfalls in winter. 40D, Tamron 17-35 with grad ND4 filter, 3 bracketed exposures per image processed in Photomatix...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:54 AM   #2

Tranquilty, majesty and beautyare tastefully captured in these frames...All so vivid thanks to the flowers of wild! I'm especially drawn in by #2
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:54 PM   #3

I'm inclined to #2 as well but all worth sharing. Thanks.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:38 PM   #4

Quite nice, I really like the color contrasts and the compositions but my choice is #3.

With #3, I have a better feeling for the dimensional expanse seen in the photo. Well done.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 2:49 AM   #5

Nice series of shots
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:44 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
went up to Mt. Baker near the Canadian border today, hoping to get some fall color. not much on the way, and not as much as i'd have liked once i got there, but i did manage some decent shots of Baker itself, with some colorful fall foliage to set off the snow and blue sky... like many of the larger peaks in the coastal mountains, Baker is a dormant volcano, and is known for its record snowfalls in winter. 40D, Tamron 17-35 with grad ND4 filter, 3 bracketed exposures per image processed in Photomatix...

Oh. Three outstanding landscape photographies with great dynamic range. And yes, the three dimensionality of the third picture is very very exciting. Masterful! Very inspiring

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:41 AM   #7

Hey Squirl,

I really been enjoying your last batch of photos. Excellent photography and knowing these places myself make them more enjoyable.

Thanks, Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:11 PM   #8

Hi Squirl

Hey, great photos, all three of them. I think you achieved wonderful outcomes. You have used your equipment well and done fine post processing.

The colour contrast between the bright red in foreground, green of trees, white snow and the blue sky work magnificently. And with your 3 exposures per shot hdr... a wonderfully NATURAL landscape shared.

thanks. Seriously, I think photo 1 is my favourite, so there you go... each photo a fav by someone.

regards

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:38 PM   #9

Beautiful. It reminds me so much of the area in the Trinity Alps Wilderness were I used to back-pack every summer. There was a view of Mt Thompson from the trail that is an exact duplicate of your shot. Ah, the memories it brings back.
Thanks for the wonderful moment of reflection.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:46 PM   #10

thanks, guys... i appreciate the kind words! these aresome of my personal favorite shots from this season. i've actually re-processed them just a bit to bump the contrast between the mountain and sky, without blowing the highlights - prints are now on the way...

one of the things i notice about so many HDR photos is the tendency of many people to "overcook" the image, resulting in colors that don't look right, unnaturally bright shadow areas, etc... i try very hard NOT to do that with my HDR processing. i want the images to look as natural as possible, but still avoid the blown skies or deep shadows that can ruin a photo. these are a bit bright in spots, but i have to admit, they are nonetheless among my most successful HDR photos to date... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote