Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:01 AM   #1

Hi all

I made a photo tonight, it's a great sight to see these three heavenly bodies together, close and clear in that "smiley face" formation.

A few days ago I happened to notice Jupiter and Venus - and realised they must be planets (I wasn't sure what ones)... as they were MUCH brighter than any star, plus they even showed in the western sky (which was lighter than the east, as the sun had just set maybe half an hour before).

So here is my humble attempt (I'm not an avid night / star photographer... so I'm fairly glad with this outcome). Taken in Adelaide, South Australia around 21:42 in the evening of 1st Dec 2008 (the rest of the world sees it later!)

Taken with my Canon 350D and Canon 100-300mm lens at 230mm. 2.5 second exposure, f9, ISO 100.

Regards

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:44 PM   #2

Excellent, pj!

Did you see this one of mine in our other 'biweekly' happy hunting ground this summer...?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85

You could do with 'Skymap' if you plan to do much of this sort of thing! It shows you what's in your own sky, and where,at any date & time in history.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:09 AM   #3

mmmm...some celestial celebrities are brought togetherthere in your capture,my friend; Astarte againstGod ofGodsand Goddess of Love,surely make an interesting trio : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:02 PM   #4

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
... Taken in Adelaide, South Australia around 21:42 in the evening of 1st Dec 2008 ...
Australia!

That explains why it's upside down! [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:13 PM   #5

Hello all!

Thank you friends for your comments:

AlanT,

I appreciate you looking here. I checked out your biweekly post that you referenced, and you captured some lovely lunar landscape shots there, well done (especially using the Z712 you used!) I'm impressed. Skymap certain appears a useful program for this kind of thing

----------------------------------------

Bahadir

As usual my friend, you see deeper through time and space to give a unique perspective on this. What a trio: Astarte, God of Gods and Goddess of Love, could we live without any of these? Thanks for your kind and perceptive words.

TCav

Ha ha ha... I had to laugh at your post! Good one! Of course we Aussies KNOW WE are actually the top of the world, and the rest of the world (well the so called "northern hemispherians" at least) - have it wrong! Have you ever looked at a globe the other way round, it's very interesting and makes one see a totally different perspective of world proportions.

Thanks again all

Will be more online soon.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:53 PM   #6

Hi Paul, great shot. A smiley face it is. They are definately planets as stars tend to twinkle in the night sky and planets just kind of shine. Well done.

regards Steve
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:02 PM   #7

Great shot there my friend i like it
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:29 PM   #8

Astrophotograghy is not easy to pull off.with modest equipment at that.a hearty "well done" i love how the uppermost planet(veinus maby?) has a star burst look while the lower star dosent.nice shot indeed.south australlia heh?well greetings from raleigh north carolina usa
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote