Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:57 AM   #11

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
I am proudly presenting my first CS-lesson on "how to..." - given by bahadir to CS-first-timer, Walter_S via thistruly informativeforum for photo-enthusiast! )

The belowlink will show that I did not only make this ugly power-mast disappear, but actually managed to plant a few small birch-trees, complete with white trunks,in its place.

The lesson was greatly enjoyed by the pupil and has boosted hisconfidence.

I hope the "teacher" approves...
;o)

Well done, Walter! I can safely say that your abilitywell matches your enthusiasm as well as yourenvironmentalism

Now for some extra clarity and punch you might also like to try the exposuredepartment ( following image > adjustment route) to do a little gamma and offset adjustment sliding the sliders in opposite directions, which may darken the image somehow but, which, again, could be healed by pushing the shadow slider by '5'. I also think the image would benefit from that clonning out the distracting roof remain on the right bottom corner and the two white projectionsin the foreground.

You're lucky to have the most motivating and demanding tutor there: a beautiful nature: )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:41 PM   #12

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
...you might also like to try the exposuredepartment ( following image > adjustment route) to do a little gamma and offset adjustment sliding the sliders in opposite directions, which may darken the image somehow but, which, again, could be healed by pushing the shadow slider by '5'.
Quote:
I also think the image would benefit from that clonning out the distracting roof remain on the right bottom corner and the two white projectionsin the foreground.
Thank you, bahadir!

I'm not sure I follow you when you say "...try the exposure dpt. When I follow Img. > Adjustments, the first Item on the 'fold-out'-menu is 'Levels'

WhenI click 'Levels' I get this histogram-adjustment-box - is that it? Where does it say 'Gamma'? - I have used Gamma in other programs (Microsoft Photo Editor) and know so-so how it works. Increase Gamma-level and theshadow-area's get lighter.

Is that what you mean?

Cloning-out the roof by following the same procedure as with the power-mast?

)
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:43 PM   #13

bahadir!

WhenI click 'Levels' I get this histogram-adjustment-box - is that it? Where does it say 'Gamma'? - I have used Gamma in other programs (Microsoft Photo Editor) and know so-so how it works. Increase Gamma-level and theshadow-area's get lighter.

Is that what you mean?

Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:59 PM   #14

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, bahadir!

I'm not sure I follow you when you say "...try the exposure dpt. When I follow Img. > Adjustments, the first Item on the 'fold-out'-menu is 'Levels'

Is that what you mean?

Cloning-out the roof by following the same procedure as with the power-mast?

)
Oh, don'tclick on the first itemof 'Levels'which looks quite allright considering the scene. Go down until you see 'Exposure' (as you see in the attached sceenshot below). When you click on it, you'll see the box including Exposure, Offset and Gamma Correctin sliders. Push the Gamma just atad to the right and the Offset to the left. You'll feel the clarity at the expense of darker look. Now, so as to heal the side effect,go to the Shadow/Highlight department aboveto push the shadow slider a bit to the right about 4-5% As for the clonning out the roof; just keep up the procedure you successfully applied!

Well, I'd allocate no more than 23hrs.59 mins.to accomplishthis job from now on, if it weren't new year's eve tomorrow:lol:

Cheers

Bahadır
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:04 AM   #15

How could I be so blind. Its written on the fold-out menu...

Thanks again, bahadir - I'll do my best to be a good student, but given today's date and circumstances with guest arriving this afternoon, and not leaving until the 2. day, I hop that I'll be excused of having to work all night. Cheering the New Year with wine & good food is going to take its toll anyway...:roll:

I really appreciate your patience and hope to see you again next year. Enjoy a Happy New Year's celebration!

)

:bye:
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:15 PM   #16

Lesson:
Quote:
Exposure, Offset and Gamma Correctin sliders..... the Shadow/Highlight department aboveto push the shadow slider a bit to the right...
This has been an interesting experience, bahadir. The vibrant details in the landscape, especially in the rocks below the housescame out.

Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:19 PM   #17

Lesson:
Quote:
As for the clonning out the roof; just keep up the procedure you successfully applied!

Again, interesting and satisfying at the same time...

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

:bye:
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:36 PM   #18

Thanks Walter for posting the wider shot. It is interesting to see "what is there".

I particularly like Bahadir's crop / view, and I think from the original one I would have done precisely the same.

Good to see the discussion (aka "photoshop tutorial") that is useful too!

Thanks.

Happy 2009 everyone

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:55 AM   #19

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Walter for posting the wider shot. It is interesting to see "what is there".
Well, pj - I didn't really shoot a wide angle-shot of that scenery that same day, as I was mostly interested in the Tele-end on this particular day. I just had my new camera a few weeks and was, and still am, exploring all it's possibilities. And what you have seen is actually just an uncropped Tele-shot of 182mm equivalent.

But for you - and may be others who are interested in the PanasonicDMC-FZ28 - I went back and took one shot with full wide angle-settings (27mm equiv.) from exactly the same spot where I took the first one. Just to show the range of the zoom on this camera.

For comparison:

Hope that it will give the right impression, even though the weather is not the same...
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:11 AM   #20

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Lesson:
Quote:
Exposure, Offset and Gamma Correctin sliders..... the Shadow/Highlight department aboveto push the shadow slider a bit to the right...
This has been an interesting experience, bahadir. The vibrant details in the landscape, especially in the rocks below the housescame out.

Now this came out nice see what a little tweaking can do, good job Walter
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote