Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:26 PM   #1

The day today was cold, with thesharp winter-air giving us photographers a chance to enjoy undisturbed conditions for a nice andclear view across the water.

Norway, 25th December 2008

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:30 PM   #2

Hi Walter_S

Lovely photo. Stunning colours of the houses, roofs and land/ trees.

The cold winter air certainly did assist you in having special conditions for this lovely shot! Thanks for sharing. It's very different to here, where we are having temperatures in the 30's for Christmas (yesterday) and boxing day (today).

I wonder if you have a wider angle shot of this also, the photo lends me to be curious as to what is up higher on the hill behind the lake/water and also what is at the near edge of the water (nearest you).

Happy & blessed Christmas. Be safe!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:35 AM   #3

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
...I wonder if you have a wider angle shot of this also, the photo lends me to be curious as to what is up higher on the hill behind the lake/water and also what is at the near edge of the water (nearest you).

Thank you Paul!

There's really not much to show on the above crop. Besides that, the crop seems to make the picture a bit more dynamic. It does so in my eyes, anyway.

Higher up on the hills there is a power-line stretching across wooden land and in the foreground - on this side of the sea-shore - there are some small trees, a small-boat slip-way (two white beams)and a small red boat-house (of which you barely can see the roof), and none of these are of any interest.

The stretch of water you seeis a tidal salt-water sound with access to the North Sea.

But, anyway, I'll show you the original and uncut shot here...

Best regards to you folks "down under" - any chance of seeing some of your scenery?

)

Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:45 PM   #4

I find the crop at the topappealing enough Still, like Paul, Ialsowished to see a bit more to the topconsidering the beautifully lit tree topsas a complementary element.Thus I came with another cropping sugestion. Hope you don't mind..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:28 AM   #5

I don't mind at all, bahadir - I am still learning (aren't we all...?) and find it very interesting to see what other photographers are looking for or would emphasize in a picture. I like your crop very much and can see right away that you are no novice to Photoshop.

This is my problem, you see. Because I don't know how to make this ugly (but well lit!) power line-mast disappear, I have to limit myself to crude cropping...

Thank you!

)
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:12 AM   #6

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
I don't mind at all, bahadir - I am still learning (aren't we all...?) and find it very interesting to see what other photographers are looking for or would emphasize in a picture. I like your crop very much and can see right away that you are no novice to Photoshop.

This is my problem, you see. Because I don't know how to make this ugly (but well lit!) power line-mast disappear, I have to limit myself to crude cropping...
Thank you!

)
Glad you liked it! It would be a pity to cut off thebeautifully littrees just because of a mast among them! Just click on the clone tool on the left then adjust the brush size above. After that bring the cursorover the area you'd like to clone frompress'Alt' button andleft click on the mouse to indicate there. And then bring the cursor where you'd like to clone out. Just enjoy the practice : )
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:20 AM   #7

Thank you so much, bahadir!

)

It's very generous of you to give me private tutoring in ps, as you just did here. This gives me new hope, as I find the threshold of Photoshop (CS2) quiettough to get over for a beginner. Some say that A. Elements would be an easier to learn option.

I'll try out this cloning tool-lesson of yours, as soon as I have time to concentrate. After all, as it is Sunday, we do have a family-get-together hereatourhome today and I am responsible for the food...! :O

Thanks again and best regards to you from Norway!

Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:07 AM   #8

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much, bahadir!
)

It's very generous of you to give me private tutoring in ps, as you just did here. This gives me new hope, as I find the threshold of Photoshop (CS2) quiettough to get over for a beginner. Some say that A. Elements would be an easier to learn option.

I'll try out this cloning tool-lesson of yours, as soon as I have time to concentrate. After all, as it is Sunday, we do have a family-get-together hereatourhome today and I am responsible for the food...! :O

Thanks again and best regards to you from Norway!
Just my pleasure : )I remember the time I was pressed to learnto clone out with many a trial and error attempt whensome fellowsadvised me to clone out things! So, I'm sure you'll do itwellenough very soon. But use your powers for the good:lol:As for the Elements and CS2 comparison, my first lap top had the PS Elementsin itsinstallation cd,which I used happily. Now; having used the CSx variants,I'd saystarting withmore generoustoolsdefinitely makes no harm ; )

Btw, hope you had a festive family gathering,the images of which you might post @ People Photos! Being responsible for the foodhints you're reckoned someonewith atrue sense ofresponsibility : )

Cheers,

Bahadır
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:17 PM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
...So, I'm sure you'll do itwellenough very soon. But use your powers for the good :lol:

I am proudly presenting my first CS-lesson on "how to..." - given by bahadir to CS-first-timer, Walter_S via thistruly informativeforum for photo-enthusiast! )

The belowlink will show that I did not only make this ugly power-mast disappear, but actually managed to plant a few small birch-trees, complete with white trunks,in its place.

The lesson was greatly enjoyed by the pupil and has boosted hisconfidence.

I hope the "teacher" approves...

;o)

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:29 PM   #10

A beautiful capture Walter_s. As mentioned before the colours are vibrant and sharp. The air must be good to breathe:-). Well done.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote