Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:54 AM   #1

Hi everyone

We just had a long weekend here in South Australia, and I made the most of it and went for a few days camping in an area I've not been to before - the Yorke Peninsula - about 300km travel from Adelaide, where I live.

There are wonderful spectacular cliffs and lovely beaches scattered around every corner there. I loved the place! And I also went body-boarding at a number of beaches, which was fun and invigorating.

Here are the first few photos from that time, at a secluded deserted beach area called Annie's Point, where I camped.

1. The view north, from near where I parked my car and set up my tent.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:56 AM   #2

Ok, so I hear you saying that you want a closer view of the waves from the beach.

Only to happy to oblige!

2. Here the wind which was blowing out to sea whipped up the spray of the crashing waves. This led to some great opportunities for lighting, as the sinking sun caught this water in it's special "magic hour" light.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:04 AM   #3

And here is another photo of that area - though I must admit I'm not particularly happy or impressed with the photo - I still want to share it with you to give an indication of the area / view from where I actually set up tent and camped.

The perspective of this photo, and composition don't really give an accurate impression, but let me tell you that the sandy path leading in front of my car and tent suddenly drops down (out of view of this photo) - and the partially rocky beach lies quite a way below. That is I would guess that I'm probably close to 50 metres in altitude above the sea.

3. So here is the south west view from Annie's point area... again in the evening.

Any comments on these photos gladly welcomed!

Thanks and regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:31 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

Three great images. You lucky ... Hard to find words, especially for the magic hour waves

Is this link

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=luminance

leading right?

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:22 AM   #5

You seem to have utilized theextended weekendin the best possible way, my friend

#1 makes a great opening scene forthe series! A very tasteful sliceof your sight from where you enchamped. As for #2; I am amazed by the timing! Such a pleasure to observe the details from left to right and back again! Oh, without #3 that wouldn't be a camping series : ) Btw,your sigma 10-20ranksone of the three most necessarayitems to bring with, I suppose

I onlythought the morevoluminous the clouds look, the more they fitto the overall daramatic sight in the first picture. So, I applied a little selective levels adjustment and some sharpening, and just a bit of saltto the rest:-)bywhichI think the picture wouldbenefit especially in larger size. You may also decide to undo the greyish tone in the sky in the second picture using the colour balance and then hue/sat. tool, imo.

Would be pleased to see if you add a few more!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:24 PM   #6

Paul it looks like you had a great camping trip
i really like #1 and it's composition also good edit by bahadir
and #2 is pretty good, i just added some contrast levels and vibrance also changed the sky hope you don't mind,
also liked your 3rd shot i had a little fun with this just to give it a little pop
btw i am thinking of buying the sigma 10-20 just seems like a pretty good lens but we'll see, thanks for sharing

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:55 PM   #7

Hello Torgny

Thank you for being the first commenter with such kind words. Yes, I am a lucky "so 'n' so".

The word / link "luminance" I think does very accurately describe what I was trying to convey, especially in that "magic hours" wave photo. Thanks for your compliments!

---------------------------

Bahadir

It is always refreshing to receive your edits - and your thoughts. Thanks! You did a good job on the 1st photo, and I must try that to the full sized original. Your editing skills are an encouragement.

Yes, my Sigma 10-20mm lens was certainly a treasured lens to bring on this trip. I will be posting more photos from this camping trip (probably in a separate series) sometime soon. Keep you eyes peeled! Cheers

----------------------------

Hercules,

Thanks - my friend. I don't mind your edit at all. In fact it inspired me to try a few thoughts / variations with that wave photo myself, which I'll post below.

I'm very happy with the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Got it for a good price, and it's a sharp copy. Love many of the ultrawide perspectives it gives.

------------------------

My appreciation, all for your comments so far!

Paul

Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:05 PM   #8

OK, here are two variations on the wave photo

A. Incorporating the sky from about half an hour later (when the sun was already partly below the horizon)....

While I like the additional colour / contrast - I think it maybe looks too fake - if the sky is that orange and the sun is that low, I think the wave couldn't be caught in that light.. the angle of the actual light on it.
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:07 PM   #9

B. And here is a version, with the sky closer to hercules' suggestion - a blue sky. I decided to use a sky photo from another beach I took a bit earlier on that weekend - and not have clouds - to try to give it a neutral feel (clouds can be tricky, especially again the apparently contradictory angles of the sun on wave vs on cloud). But hercules did quite a good job!

However I also thought I'd "get rid" of the bottom (closer) crashing wave, just to see what effect that has.

Your opinions? Any further suggestions. And yes, I did increase the contrast / saturation and a few other things a bit - hopefully improvement from my initial more subtle edit.

Thanks.

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:31 PM   #10

Hey, I just got wet from the waves jumping out of my screen........wonderful photos Paul. We don't see this stuff here in Kansas....love it!

Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote