Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:06 AM   #1

got a case of cabin fever the other day, had to get out of the house, so i threw some gear in the jeep and headed out toward the Cascade foothills. found myself on some narrow, rural roads winding through small farms up in the hills, and i've decided i'd kinda like to live there... i mean, really, who wouldn't like having a view like this from the farmyard?

or this one, a few miles up the road...

both with 5D and Tamron SP24-135, various settings and exposures

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
got a case of cabin fever the other day, had to get out of the house, so i threw some gear in the jeep and headed out toward the Cascade foothills. found myself on some narrow, rural roads winding through small farms up in the hills, and i've decided i'd kinda like to live there... i mean, really, who wouldn't like having a view like this from the farmyard? ...
both with 5D and Tamron SP24-135, various settings and exposures

The decenthdr treatment adds a pleasing luminance andfurther sense of dimension to your already tasteful compositions, imo.Well....who cares about the global economic crisis thingie once having reached this 'peaceful and soothing region' ...

Cheers!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3

thanks, Bahadir! good eye - i did do a quick HDR on the second one, to bring out some detail in the foreground.

i confess, it is nice to be able to get away, and spend a day not being bombarded by the incessant bad news - climate change, recession, unemployment (i know all too well about that, i was laid off in December!), tensions in Korea... sometimes it's just such a joy to get out into the hinterlands and just forget all that for a day... :G
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4

Hi Squirl

Both beautiful photos, thanks for sharing your area of the world with us! Very different to here, as we're at the end of (another) very dry, hot summer - so your soothing green grass and mountains topped with snow are a lovely melody of lushness!

I appreciate both photos, just wondering why you didn't capture the whole farmyard? It didn't lend itself to the composition, or was the extreme left of the building ugly? Nice natural framing on the 2nd photo too. HDR, yes I was thinking so too!

I certainly don't want to minimise the pain and hard-ships that many people are feeling through the global economic crisis, and yes, the bombardment of bad news is very difficult to accept day in day out... So yes, I think it's good to see there is still a lot of beautiful things to accept in this world, also the glorious scenes presented in nature.

When I lived in London years ago, I found many things to do for free, including going to interesting places - and of course taking photos of these. London is such an expensive city. Hopefully people can continue or learn to see the opportunities of doing things that don't take so much money! Would like to go for a hike with you in the mountains sometime there, Squirl. If only we had technology to transport us to such locations around the world in minutes (without all the hassle of visa / paperwork, etc). Will we ever have Star-trek "beaming" technology, Scotty?

Thanks again

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:04 AM   #5

thanks, Paul...

yeah, the left side of the barnyard was rather cluttered and unattractive, and i figured i'd just leave it out, and from a compositional standpoint, i kinda wanted the barn over to the left side, so i could get the mountains in the background into the scene. also, there were some buildings on the right side, out of the frame, that i didn't want to include... cropping with the zoom, in effect.

i'm afraid my mountain hiking days are pretty much behind me... my knees don't do so well anymore, and my asthma kicks in if i get winded. i can still scramble over rocks and logs when the need arises, but nowadays, i tend to take more sedate walks over rather less rugged terrain than what i did in my youth. when i was in my teens, i hiked and camped all through these mountains, but that was a lot more years ago than i care to admit, and i just don't have the stamina for it anymore. i do like the idea of that Star Trek transporter, though! lock in the GPS coordinates and energize! :G

i think one of the reasons i do try to get out and see and photograph places like this, is because it does tend to counteract the drumbeat of gloom and doom, and it shows that there really still is a lot of beauty and serenity in this tired old world. i find it really refreshes my soul to get out for a day, seeking out the "road less traveled", and photographing places that epitomize the natural beauty that's around us. helps keep my spirits up, and reminds me that there is so much more to life than the 9-to-5 grind (or worrying about not having a 9-to-5 grind...). once i'm able to retire - at least from full-time work - i will be spending a whole lot more time out in places like these!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:47 AM   #6

Thanks Squirl, for your reply and explanation. I therefore think you've captured the scene just as it should be, from what you described! Well done.

Your description about the area and hiking (and it being quite a challenge for you now) - is appreciated. I'm glad you can still get out to view the beautiful places there. How far is this scene from your home?

I am still thankfully fit enough to do hikes and go camping, but I find maybe because I've just not got long school or university holidays anymore, that the days of going for a spontaneous week's hike just for the sake of it are over.

Up until 2006 I did do a fair bit of hiking in Romania in connection with the charity I worked with there (taking vulnerable children for "survival hikes" - and that being an important experience for their development and esteem. They often lasted for 10 days.

Since returning to Australia, I've done a few walks - but more of overnight duration, or 2 to 3 days / 2 nights. I do enjoy camping (as you'll see in some of my posts here in the landscapes forum now).

I think my recent weekend away (last weekend, long weekend here) was a welcome break from the pace of life during the week. Really refreshed my soul too, spending time reading, praying, walking, body-boarding, swimming, etc... and of course taking LOTS of photos (which I'm now sorting through and posting).

Well, I'll lock in those GPS coordinates and come to see you sometime when we get the "beam-me up, Scotty" technology working! Would love to see the US one day.

Cheers,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:29 AM   #7

Yes who wouldn't want a view like this these are very good shots you took and nicely composed, nice work
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:55 PM   #8

"How far is this scene from your home?"

Paul, this is about 25 miles north east of where i live... fortunately, it's still fairly easy to get "out of town" and find rural places to explore. the "grand" scenery is a bit farther, but with a bit of imagination and time, one can often find good photo spots a bit closer in...
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:55 PM   #9

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Yes who wouldn't want a view like this these are very good shots you took and nicely composed, nice work
thanks, Hercules!