Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1

while out curing a case of cabin fever the other day, i came across this little stream in the foothills of the Cascade mountains east of Seattle. the snow on the rocks attracted me, so i set up my tripod and snapped some photos. the whites came out a bit too harsh, but these still have a sort of abstract feel to them that i find appealing... 5D, 24-135 with ND4 filter, 1/2 second @ f/20...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:50 PM   #2

I'mma think'n if you'd got down in the snow for a lower angle, allowing for some background, you'd gotten more from this photo op. I just see rocks topped with snow and blurred water. Nothing for me to feast on, but then again, I should be on a diet anyway :roll:
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:10 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
...the whites came out a bit too harsh, but these still have a sort of abstract feel to them that i find appealing...
ActuallyIlikened them kind of fairy chimneys at the first sight...and then to Smurf housesMight see somefurtherbeautiesthanks toyourprevailing cabin fever! Oh, butdon'tthey-theimages- make theit even more desperate,rather thanquenchingone's thrist...?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:22 PM   #4

eddie haskell wrote:
Quote:
I'mma think'n if you'd got down in the snow for a lower angle, allowing for some background, you'd gotten more from this photo op. I just see rocks topped with snow and blurred water. Nothing for me to feast on, but then again, I should be on a diet anyway :roll:
i wish i could've, Eddie... but the stream ran through a narrow, but very steep, ravine. i was able to set up about 10 feet above the water, but there was no way to get down to the stream itself, and i didn't feel much like sliding and crashing around in the snow with my camera gear... in any case, i'd have taken the same sort of shot, just from a lower angle. abstract shots like this aren't everyone's cup of tea, but i like one or two now and then for variety...
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:26 PM   #5

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
...the whites came out a bit too harsh, but these still have a sort of abstract feel to them that i find appealing...
ActuallyIlikened them kind of fairy chimneys at the first sight...and then to Smurf housesMight see somefurtherbeautiesthanks toyourprevailing cabin fever! Oh, butdon'tthey-theimages- make theit even more desperate,rather thanquenchingone's thrist...?
you're, right, Bahadir... sometimes, getting out to take photos like these only serves to whet the appetite, rather than satisfy it. i fear i am one of those for whom it's necessary to escape the bounds of the city to take photos of the "real world" at least once a week... if i don't, i get cranky and irritable... :lol: