Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:01 AM   #1

Hello all

Further to my first set of posted photos when I went camping for a few days on a lovely peninsula almost 4 hours from Adelaide in South Australia, here is another set of photos.

These ones here I think display the "subtle" nature of light at various times. All at Annie's Point where I had camped during my days away (though I drove extensively around the peninsula, visiting many places).

First photo, is actually a long exposure - taken well after the sun has gone down for the night, and in a sense are inspired by our fellow Steve's forum member Gisli who has posted many amazing night time shots from his country of Iceland.

I set my camera up on my tripod, and set at ISO800, this photo took 30 seconds to record (aperture f8). Note that the only light source is provided by the moon and stars. You can see the fairly bright moon's shimmer on the water - the top right part of the horizon.

This was the (wide) view from the entrance of my small camping tent, actually, - This photo was taken just before I went to sleep on Saturday 7th March 2009. Sigma lens 10-20mm, at 10mm.

Hope you like it!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:17 AM   #2

Photo 2

The next morning the sun rose on a clear day, and I ventured down to the beach after a relaxed breakfast.

By the way, at 10pm the night before - while it was quiet dark, the moon did provide a clear enough light to allow me to walk down to the beach - where I washed my hands in the ocean.

The sandy path leads about 150m to 200m down to the beach. My tent was probably about 50 metres above sea level, so yes, it's a fairly steep path.

This photo is of me at the little beach, just before I went for a swim. The sun took a while to actually reach the water because of the land-rise to the east.

I feel the clear morning light lent a special soft yet quality to this scene.

Your thoughts?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:21 AM   #3

Yes indeed this one is GREAT Paul also really good composition, just a thought though since there was a tripod in use, did you also try one out at ISO100 just to compare it to the ISO800, either way you did great

Woops seems like i posted to fast:G anyway i figured it was you this is also a very nice exposed shot this place looks stunning
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:30 AM   #4

Hi Hercules

Thanks, mate. Yes you were on the ball and posted your comments quick.

Yes, about photo 1, I was thinking I could try at ISO100 (instead of at ISO800) - but the thing is that it was quite a windy night, so I had to hold my tripod steady with my hand - otherwise when I left it alone - there would be enough vibration / movement from the wind that the photo would not turn out sharp.

So if I took photos at lower ISO's basically my patience ran out - because I would have to hold the tripod steady for so long, and even with me sitting next to the tripod - well, my patience has limits! After trying 2 photos at ISO 200, the ISO800 ones were better, so I used that.

It's a lovely area, photo 2 shows me just a few minutes before I took off my tracksuit and put on my bathers and jumped in the clear water. The water temperature was moderately "ok". South Australia's water isn't affected by the tropics (the land mass of Australia is in the way)- so it never gets as warm as say Queensland on our east coast. However South Australia's water is still warmer than Tasmania's (where I grew up) as Tasmania is further south again!

Paul
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:32 AM   #5

Photo 3.

And the final photo for this series: the sunset of that day - from the same area (Annie's Point).

No post processing, except cropping to align the sinking sun in the composition.

I loved the warm rich orange of the sky that evening, and the appropriately placed strip of cloud across the sun as it sank.

Thanks for viewing, and looking forward to any more comments.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:39 AM   #6

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hercules

Thanks, mate. Yes you were on the ball and posted your comments quick.

Yes, about photo 1, I was thinking I could try at ISO100 (instead of at ISO800) - but the thing is that it was quite a windy night, so I had to hold my tripod steady with my hand - otherwise when I left it alone - there would be enough vibration / movement from the wind that the photo would not turn out sharp.

So if I took photos at lower ISO's basically my patience ran out - because I would have to hold the tripod steady for so long, and even with me sitting next to the tripod - well, my patience has limits! After trying 2 photos at ISO 200, the ISO800 ones were better, so I used that.

It's a lovely area, photo 2 shows me just a few minutes before I took off my tracksuit and put on my bathers and jumped in the clear water. The water temperature was moderately "ok". South Australia's water isn't affected by the tropics (the land mass of Australia is in the way)- so it never gets as warm as say Queensland on our east coast. However South Australia's water is still warmer than Tasmania's (where I grew up) as Tasmania is further south again!

Paul
Great that explains why you used ISO800
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:41 AM   #7

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Photo 3.

And the final photo for this series: the sunset of that day - from the same area (Annie's Point).

No post processing, except cropping to align the sinking sun in the composition.

I loved the warm rich orange of the sky that evening, and the appropriately placed strip of cloud across the sun as it sank.

Thanks for viewing, and looking forward to any more comments.

Paul
You sure are starting to complement our eye's Paul this is a great sunset shot great work
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:07 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

Great pictures as always. The green in the first picture. The arm of the sea protecting and comforting in numbrt two. Thanks

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Paul,

the first photo is simply superb... the moonlight, the soft, foamy effect of the distant surf, and the subtle colors in the sky... wonderful. if you can, blow it up and frame it. i love the third as well, though my own personal preference would be to move the sun a bit to one side or the other, it seems a little too centered for my taste...

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:33 AM   #10

Oh, I quite agree on thefascinating influenceof #1I should also mention I appreciate your trouble while shooting it. I had a similar experience only the day before trying to hold the camera still on the tripod shooting in a windy evening by the sea!! I also enjoyed seeing your lively memory about where you encamped. ''Your thoughts?'' Well, I wander if you walked ahead and jumped offfrom the further rock under the surface or just preferred a smooth access into the water on the right:G

Below,simply inspired by your original Iintended to emphasizelong exposuresettingwhen the sunhas gonedown for night, leaving the scene to the magical lightingby the stars and the moon...oh, remembering our good friend Gisli meanwhile!

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote