Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:33 PM   #1

From our deck in Victoria there's a constantly changing view of the Olympics. Some days we can't see then for cloud: apart from that there seem to be infinite variations.

This began as today's mid-morning view - helped along by the camera's (a Nikon 8800) 10x zoom, a circular polarising filter that made the snow much more noticeable against the sky and then by Photoshop Elements 2 to make it look more dramatic.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:45 AM   #2

Oh,these mountains are to fall in love withI remember your earlier posts with images of them. I felt a bit underexposure so tried some levels adjustments(for the sky and mountain separately)and also some high radius sharpening for contrast. Clonning out the power line is nothing to mention.Hope you don't mind.

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:13 AM   #3

Nice shot of a very nice Mountain, also good edit by bahadir
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4

Hercules & Bahadir - Thanks for the nice comments & for Bahadir's explanation of how he effected the improvement. I had tried to move somewhat in that direction, but failed - the more I tried to change the colour of the sky, the more I ended up with the sky looking quite horribly grainy. Clearly I need to learn how to use levels.

This, by the way (though in a smaller picture size and more compressed file to get below the 250400 bytes ceiling) is the shot as it came out of the camera -

Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:36 PM   #5

Wonderful looking mountains, as for using levels I'm still trying to learn that too.:?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:06 PM   #6

Herb wrote:
Quote:
...I had tried to move somewhat in that direction, but failed - the more I tried to change the colour of the sky, the more I ended up with the sky looking quite horribly grainy...
Sorry I did not mention that you'll find theplug in of Neat Imagein your photoshop quite handy at this stage, as I had used in the pp above ; )Do the levels adjustmentindividually foreach channel (even at the expense of discarding some colour information visable on the diagram), and supportthechanneladjustment withrelatedcolours at the saturation tool if it does not suffice. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:47 PM   #7

Bahadir - Starting afresh with the original picture, I used layers to change the blue element in the sky, then I searched for the noise plugin in Photoshop Elements, found it, and applied it to the sky as well (three times in succession as it seemed to be more effective each time). I didn't try for anything dramatic this time, but your tips worked really well on the bad noise problem. Thanks for your help.

Here's the latest effort (reduced this time to 900x1200 and compressed to below the 250,400 bytes ceiling).
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:58 PM   #8

Herb wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir - Starting afresh with the original picture, I used layers to change the blue element in the sky, then I searched for the noise plugin in Photoshop Elements, found it, and applied it to the sky as well (three times in succession as it seemed to be more effective each time). I didn't try for anything dramatic this time, but your tips worked really well on the bad noise problem. Thanks for your help.
Now, that's it