Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Hello folks! )

4 months ago (just afterI got my new camera) I posted this shot below here in the Critiques and Techniques-forum.

2 weeks ago, Ibought this new software - Photomatix-to try and create someHDR-pictures.Looking through my old files for some suitableshots with +1.0/ "normal"/ -1.0 exposures, I found theseand here is theHDR-result:

I have beensomewhat 'conservative' here, in notgoing 'over the top' with exessiveHDR-effects, as I wanted to retaina natural look for this picture.

I must say that I am very much impressed with Photomatix as the 3 exposures i have usedhere, have been takenwith a handheld camera, just to try outbracketing (3 shots in a row) in my camera and not at all with HDR in mind -I didn't even know about HDR thenand didn't have a tripod of my own.

And still, Photomatix managed to align the 3 exposures satisfactory. Throughly amazing, wouldn't you say? Given the circumstances, I am quiet proud of what my Panny FZ-28 (and Photomatix) produced.

I wish I had a tripod and knew about HDR thenbecause it would have increased the sharpness of the picture, specially in the grass and the bushes in the top right-hand corner, where there is a considerable amount of "fuzziness". Sadly,I cannotthink ofa decent way of croppingthisfuzziness away.

Se'ya all!

)

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:45 AM   #2

What a glow! Fantastic result. I liked it before, but this is better.

I wouldn't have immediately guessedit was HDR, until spotting the unobtrusive orange grass at the back right. It looks nice & sharp at this size, so you have a steady hand.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:02 PM   #3

That's such an appealing foreground indeed! So there you are after some months, but equipped with the hdr technique, which you apply wellcomplimentingthefascinating settings of the mother nature : )Should you try wider spacing between exposures, say -2, 0,+2, providing your camerasupports,youcan possiblyavoid washed skies as well.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:23 PM   #4

Alan T and bahadir,

Thank you both for your kind words.

Concerningwider spacing, such as+2, 0, -2, unfortunately my camera does not support this. Maximum supported automated bracketing is +1, to 0 to -1 in 1/3rd spacings. So I would have to set manual exposure to archive a wide scope.

I am just waiting for the right light and I will picture this motive again, this time with tripod of course, somaximum sharpness shall be retained throughout the entire picture. This rock is just about 100 meters from my house and I visit it most every day on my daily morning walk with my dog.

So, thisis not the last time you will see this motive!

)
Old Apr 10, 2009, 3:05 PM   #5

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
So, thisis not the last time you will see this motive!

)
Ha ha! So I should hope : )
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:05 AM   #6

Since the caption of this tread is called "Norwegian shores", it is fitting that Iwill post the same 3 pictures here, that I have posted in "my" Panasonic-forum. The reason for this is that you good people and landscape-freaks probably rarely check out these "specialized" forums.

Anyway, I thought I would share with you 2 photos which give a good example of the Panasonic Lumix FZ-28'srange of zoom.

I was out there on the rocks along the coastlast Sundaymorning, waiting for the sun to come up, shooting some 400-shots - mainly for panoramic- and HDR-exercises.

At 05:30 AM - Looking at this picture above: To the left, way out there on the horizon and on the rock isthis lighthouse, you can barely see it as a small square with a gray roof on, against the dull sky.

At 06:23 AM - Now look at this picture - which was takenfrom the same position, but with thefull-lengthtele (all of 486mm) zoom, and there we have the same lighthouse. This time the rock is so near that you can actually pick out small seagulls sitting on the rock, waiting for the sun to warm them (it was a cold night - I had to scrape the windshield on my carfree ofice!)

At 05:05 AM and the sun still below the horizon. This is looking in the other direction.

See ya folks!

)

Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:21 PM   #7

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
....Anyway, I thought I would share with you 2 photos which give a good example of the Panasonic Lumix FZ-28'srange of zoom.

I was out there on the rocks along the coastlast Sundaymorning, waiting for the sun to come up, shooting some 400-shots - mainly for panoramic- and HDR-exercises.

At 05:30 AM - Looking at this picture above: To the left, way out there on the horizon and on the rock isthis lighthouse, you can barely see it as a small square with a gray roof on, against the dull sky.

At 06:23 AM - Now look at this picture - which was takenfrom the same position, but with thefull-lengthtele (all of 486mm) zoom, and there we have the same lighthouse. This time the rock is so near that you can actually pick out small seagulls sitting on the rock, waiting for the sun to warm them (it was a cold night - I had to scrape the windshield on my carfree ofice!)

Oh, mon dieu! Now I call thisa 'range': )It wouldcost me more than the body of the camera and the weight as well, to reach such a focal length on my dslr!

You're right; I'm one of those who don'tfrequent the''specialized'' forums you mention, unless Ihappen to seesomeone I know!Thus in case you see sth. interesting hope you canpm tome; )
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8

Very pretty (all of them)! I've been impressed with how well photomatix lines up hand-held pictures, but it does have a limit, especially if someone in the picture moves a bit. You've done really well with this series.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9

Thank you, mtngal - I agree, photomatix does a great job lining up - a great program.

My weekend-contribution to the "Norwegian shores" today is this little "sweet" small-harbour I came across the other day. Its called Papperhavn and it seemed like time had stood still in this picturesque place in the South of Norway.

Have a nice week-end!

)

Old May 16, 2009, 4:34 PM   #10

As it is rocks all over again, I'll just (re)use this old thread here. Just some rocky sea-scapes / landscapes with slight HDR-rendering.

Unfortunately there was a (very) low-tide and the water does not look very appetising. I would have preferred high-tide, with all those mud-banks covered giving a neater picture. But then, you cannot order nature, you'll just have to accept what is there...

Same place - from a different angle.

Best regards from "over there"...
Walter_S

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; May 16, 2009 at 4:38 PM.