Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 29, 2009, 3:42 PM   #1

Default Tayside Agriculture

On holiday in E.Scotland in April, I saw these spectacular furrows all over Tayside and 'The Kingdom of Fife'.

I believe they must be potato clamps, beautifully machine sculpted and planted with seed potatoes in a single operation. The region is famous for its potatoes, found in outlets all over the UK.

On my monitors, I have been amusing myself with weird Moire patterns when I upsize and downsize the first two images.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan T; May 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:46 AM   #2
eu

Alan,

These are amazing pictures. While these rows itself has very ordinary shape, they create wonderful patterns in rough lands under correct lighting conditions.

They also resemble a lot to Japanese gravel zen gardens.

source: http://www.lexaloffle.com/img2/jrg1.jpg

emre.
eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:58 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
On holiday in E.Scotland in April, I saw these spectacular furrows all over Tayside and 'The Kingdom of Fife'.

I believe they must be potato clamps, beautifully machine sculpted and planted with seed potatoes in a single operation. The region is famous for its potatoes, found in outlets all over the UK.

On my monitors, I have been amusing myself with weird Moire patterns when I upsize and downsize the first two images.

Strong, Alan,

You know you have made some significant photographies. Symmetry and repetitiveness. (Two of the) most important estetical elements in composition. Congratulations

What a name, "Kingdom of Fife" . What a name. Can you link to a good website or perhaps elaborate in your beautiful English

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:42 AM   #4

Thanks very much, emre & Torgny for your kind comments. I have lots more from this holiday, but I'm still working on it.

Try this, Torgny...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Fife

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:43 PM   #5

im not too keen on the first one alan the reason being is it sends my eyes funny lol .

the last 2 are great ....a simple but good capture .

i also wonder why he left small plots in the first image?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:50 PM   #6

Nice work. Using my work computer I see a Moire pattern on the second photo only. It probably will disappear when I view it at home. While photos 1 & 2 are need to establish the story line photos 3 & 4 are masterfully dramatic due to their compositional strength.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:26 PM   #7

To my slight surprise I still see Moire pattern on #2 with my home computer and it's a larger/higher resolution monitor. My work computer has a bad habit of showing jpg artifacts when there are none.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Jun 5, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:09 AM   #8

The pattern might be more or less striking with any different repetitive pattern, e.g., either smaller or larger monitor dot pitch, superimposed on another repetitive pattern.

Some time ago, I played about with similar effects, deliberately created, in the "Biweekly shootout's" 'household abstract' challenge ...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out/126795-household-abstract.html

Here in the forum I don't see any patterns on my first furrow image either, in the downsized version , though I did manage to make my vision feel funny in the process of resizing it. Most fun is had by putting the full sized images in a suitable editor and twiddling the magnification up and down. Of course that size is too big to post here.

Just to illustrate the sort of thing I see when twiddling the originals here is another tiny specimen, downsized from 3072 to 400 pixels wide, using simple 'pixel resize' (which I would never do otherwise).
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
...i also wonder why he left small plots in the first image?...
Thanks, and sorry about your eyes! Maybe there are big rocks there. There's a little lane running along the top of the hill, so next time I'm up there I shall investigate. Daughter lives in Perth & works in Dundee near there, so it shouldn't be too long.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 6:31 AM   #10

You've captured some really interesting patterns, Alan. I even thought Eric Von Daniken should have seen this : ) Shame I couldn't drop a line before! At the first sight, before reading your explanation, I considered this a strange way of ploughing since villagers prefer to do it horizontally on to the sloping so as to prevent erosion by water. But the size of the grooves like trenches(!) and your explanation told me of an altogether different use - storing potatoes!- I haven't seen before, although I also live in a potato groving country.
Btw, I must say I appreciated the resemblance Emre showed as an old Zazen practicer ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote