Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:34 PM   #1

Default Snoqualmie Falls

went up to Snoqualmie Falls yesterday afternoon. it's located about 30 miles east of Seattle, about a 40 minute drive. i spent a couple of hours there, shooting the falls and trying to keep my lens reasonably dry - there was a lot of water going over the falls, and a lot of mist in the air. the falls is 270 feet high, 100 feet higher than Niagara, and there were times when the water splashed back up a third of the height of the falls... i have a bunch more shots to review and process, but these will give you an idea of what the place looks like. there's a trail that leads from the upper observation area to a lower one, and from there, you can climb over the fence and down onto the actual river shore. the area i was in was too rocky for a tripod, so these were all shot freehand with the 5D and 24-135, using a polarizer...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:13 AM   #2

I suppose there could always be flowers and a velvet like vegetation around this rainbow producing place! What about the view from the trekking route beyond the fences (any further pictures?)...perhaps offering a sight of the river coming along some woody hills...and then falling...thus impressively as I see in your pictures!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:11 AM   #3

thanks, Bahadir! actually, i WAS beyond the fence... quite some distance, in fact - i really couldn't go any further. the viewing platform at the end of the "official" pathway only affords a limited view of the falls with some trees in the way. above the falls is a power generating plant, and upstream from that, the river flows mainly through farmlands for about 10 miles before it gets into anything like woody hills. downstream, it flows through a shallow gorge, then back out into farmland again.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:01 AM   #4

Nice rainbow, and a very vivid supernumary arc above the main bow. I was down there years ago. People often do go over the fence and wade and swim there. The danger is in storms upriver. The falls can increase the output unexpectedly and sweep one downstream rapidly.

The trees in the way were small enough then to be used for framing. Here's old shots of it. It's only 2 megapixels, a respectable camera for that time.

Last edited by The Barbarian; Jun 14, 2009 at 9:04 AM.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:53 PM   #5

Thank you for the further explanation Rocky. Btw, I should also thank Barbarian for his complementary pictures contibuting the thread! I'd like to see even further ones from you both : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote