Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:49 PM   #1
spy

Default Lunbreck Falls, Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada

Hello gang,

Been very busy with work and not much time for me so I hope that explains why I haven't been around.

I finally had some time in the last week to be creative and with a destination in mind, I set out to photograph this waterfall a couple hours from home.

With an almost full moon to light the way, as this was shot around 12 midnight, I light painted the falls with a flashlight all the while having the shutter locked open on "bulb" mode.

17mm, ISO 400, f4, 99 seconds
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:54 PM   #2
spy

20d, 17mm, ISO 400, f4, 77 seconds
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:51 AM   #3

Very nice! Glad to have you back with us again.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:23 AM   #4

Welcome back! Remembering your latest two sensational posts well, especially the Burmis tree, I was wondering what you would come up with next : ) The falls with such long exposure looks like the moonlit flowing cloak of a fairy at midnight! Good idea of flashlight painting indeed. It's also quite pleasing to observe some part of the river tinted in blue by the full moon...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
spy

Thank you shadokachr and bahadir. The falls are only 5 minutes down the road from the Burmis Tree. I've got plans to go back to these falls as the potential to capture more is there for the taking.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:48 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Hello gang,

Been very busy with work and not much time for me so I hope that explains why I haven't been around.

I finally had some time in the last week to be creative and with a destination in mind, I set out to photograph this waterfall a couple hours from home.

With an almost full moon to light the way, as this was shot around 12 midnight, I light painted the falls with a flashlight all the while having the shutter locked open on "bulb" mode.

17mm, ISO 400, f4, 99 seconds
Yes, Kevin,

Some effort you made there. Highlights of these pictures to me are the blues at the neck of the fall; especially the one at the high left corner of the second picture

Someone at this forum said once between words that you should see the "beginning" of a waterfall - couldn't agree more

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Aug 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:59 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Simply, simply, quite simply stunning!!! I miss your swimming shots but getting to see work like this almost fills the hole left behind.

A great idea for sure and almost perfectly executed.

Hope you are doing well Kevin and looking forward to your next series.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:55 PM   #8
spy

Hey Torgny and Mark thanks for commenting. I am actually going back out to this site tonight for another midnight photo opp. Should be home around 3am. I've got big plans for this photo opp and hoping the weather holds up for me. I should have the next set posted in the next couple days.
Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:29 AM   #9

Hi Kevin

What a brilliant idea, and wonderful special outcomes!

Your photos here have a distinct quality about them - I would never guess that you could have "painted" that way with the flash-light with the camera's lens open in bulb.

I would have loved to be there to see how this works - thanks for sharing your photos with us. Looking forward to the next ones. That's dedication for you, back hom at 3am!

Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:48 AM   #10
spy

Thanks Paul, light painting is very rewarding when the concept and timing is learned. During my first attempts with this, there was a bit of a learning curve with learning how much light is needed, the maximum distance the subject could be, what ISO's should I use and what fstop to set the camera. I also did a lot of counting to get the exposure right.

Now, after shooting several subjects this way, I no longer need to count but just go by a feeling of when to stop "painting". I still take about 3 to 5 shots just to get it all nailed down right before I take the final shots.

Kevin