Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:22 PM   #1

Default North Shore of Lake Superior

I got a chance to go to the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota this past week. This is one of my favorite parts of the state to visit. I love the rugged shore line on the lake and the many waterfalls. It was my first extended opportunity to get some nature shots since I got the DSLR.

#1 Gooseberry Falls State Park.

#2 Caribou Falls.

#3 Back roads color on a rainy day.

#4 Temperance River State Park After a day of rain I was able to take a few shots as the sun was setting. By the time I took this shot I could not ever read the controls on the camera anymore. It looked good on the back screen but I not sure how much I like it on the computer. I did 5 different edits on it and am still not sure what to think. What are your thoughts?

#5 Beaver River - This is my personal favorite.

Any C & C is greatly appreciated. Do the colors seem right? Is the focus good or is it to soft? Does the composition work? Ect?

Thanks

Tom
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:20 PM   #2

Exceptionally beautiful and well-captured!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:52 PM   #3

All are very, very nice. I especially like the last one with the fall foilage amidst the evergreens.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:33 PM   #4

The first shot is amazing. I really like it!
johnnymisadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:56 PM   #5

The forth picture. That is astounding. Love the blue cast on the stones. and the mood is perfect. Good job!

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:28 AM   #6

These are great shots. It made me (and my wife) plan for this coming weekend's trip to the nearest waterfalls in my area. If I can pick the time of day, is there a good time to take pictures?
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:42 AM   #7

I am certainly no expert on waterfall photos. This was my first real opportunity with the digital camera. I could not even tell you the settings that were used with out looking at the data from the images. But here is generally what I did. I closed down the aperture as far as possible to increase the DOF and slow the shutter speed. From my point of view a sturdy tripod is a must. An over cast day seemed to be best and I really like the time after sunset the best.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:36 AM   #8

Great waterfall-pictures #1, #4 and #5 with #1 being my favorite.

My guess is that #4 is more of a evening-photo (may be the latest on in this shooting-series?) than the others and the light should have been a little darker - specially the sky, wheras the others are more daytime pictures.

For your first nature-shots they have come out very well, and there is no daupt that you have an eye for motives. Great start, schent1!!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Number 4 was a late evening shot. It was so dark I needed a flash light to see the controls on the camera as well as hike back down the step and rocky trail to my car. I posted a new edit that I prefer and the original image. The problem I had as I lightened up the image is the sky gets blow out as well as some details in the tops of the trees. I shot all the images in JPG + RAW. The new edit started with the RAW image to brighten it up, and then I used an adjustment layer to paint the sky and tree detail back in. If you look very close some of the brightness and color in the tops of the trees is lost. I manually blended it and think there should be an easier way but do not know how to accomplish it. Am I being to picky?
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:26 AM   #10

Thanks, Schent1. It's about an hour's drive and sunsets are brief in the Fall so we better not be late considering there's a half-mile hike from the parking lot...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote