Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Goshen & Highland Lakes State Park in Middletown, New York

I went alone to the village of Goshen in New York State to snap some photos.

Scotchtown Road -- the road that connects the hamlet of Scotchtown and the village of Goshen.

First Presbyterian Church in Goshen.

Fall leaf on a park in Goshen.

Wild plants along Craigville Road in Goshen.

While driving around Goshen I saw deer grazing on an open field so I parked hoping to take some photos. There wasn't much of a shoulder on the road so I pulled in to a dirt road. It turns out the land was private property and I guess the owner just happened to be driving by in his pickup truck because he stopped and told me it was private property. He pointed to a sign that said so. I said, "sorry," and left not having taken any pictures. I thought maybe if my wife or son was with me I wouldn't look like a trespasser menacing the quiet rural neighborhood.

In any case the following day my wife and I checked the map and found to our surprise a New York State-owned park nearby. So we went there. It's undeveloped and there were warning signs about rattle snakes so I couldn't stray too far away from our car when I took photos.

Highland Lakes State Park -- 3,000 acres of undeveloped woods and lakes in the hamlet of Scotchtown.

Wild grasses at Highland Lakes State Park.

Stalk of wild grass at Highland Lakes State Park.

Wild flowers at Highland Lakes State Park.

Next stop -- Stony Kill Falls in the village of New Paltz.

Critiques are more than welcome. I'm addicted to your criticisms more than to your compliments. .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2

From the last half of your pics I can tell your camera is capable of proper focus. But in the first couple the focus is way off. Particularly the church pic. I like your panorama shot of the wheat. I am waiting for the apes to come through, like in Planet of the Apes.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:56 PM   #3

Hi VV,
I'm from Goshen. Do you live in this area or just passin through.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
From the last half of your pics I can tell your camera is capable of proper focus. But in the first couple the focus is way off. Particularly the church pic. I like your panorama shot of the wheat. I am waiting for the apes to come through, like in Planet of the Apes.

Hi, Bynx -- I'm afraid I will have to blame either steves-digicams.com (sdc) or my resizing software for the softness of the Church. I actually ran the image through Corel's "high-pass sharpen" tool before uploading, but like my Kaaterskill Falls pic, somehow it looked softer after uploading to sdc. Here is the same image uploaded at my website:

http://www.billycarpio.com/photos/Goshen-Middletown/DSC02672.JPG

Either my resizing software (Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006) resized to 1025 when I specified 1024 and so sdc resized it anew, or sdc does something else still, or Iím doing something wrong.

I don't mean to say that my original image is focused any better, I just think it should have appeared sharper.

Regarding "first couple" being out of focus, Iím assuming youíre referring to the pictures of the church, the road, and the leaves on the ground. For the leaves on the ground, I meant it to focus only on the leaf in the foreground. But, like you say, it still seems off.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at and comment on my pics, Bynx!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Hi VV,
I'm from Goshen. Do you live in this area or just passin through.
Hi, eharrim -- I've been a Scotchtown resident for over a dozen years. So you can say I'm just passing through. I always loved Goshen's quaint atmosphere.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:18 AM   #6

For your 3rd pic I think it would have made more sense to have had a single leaf to focus on. The composition is too cluttered so Im wondering what I should be looking at.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
For your 3rd pic I think it would have made more sense to have had a single leaf to focus on. The composition is too cluttered so Im wondering what I should be looking at.
I agree -- I couldn't make up my mind at the time whether to focus on a leaf or show the "sea" of red leaves on deep green grass. I ended up with a compromise that I guess didn't work . Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:29 AM   #8

BTW, I can't shake the image of the Planet of the Apes now whenever I look at the pics of the wild grass. I keep remembering Roddy McDowall which I became a fan of as a kid.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:12 AM   #9

BTW also, for the last two shots (stalk of grass and wild flowers) I used the cheap Opteka screw-on macro lens. I know it's not a real macro lens but I would disagree emphatically if you guys start calling it a "toy" nuh-uh it's not!

There are also dust on some of my lens -- I don't want to just clean them willy-nilly and risk scratching them. Time to google...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:17 PM   #10

often websites resize to fit the forum pages, and the added file compression causes images to be softer than the originals. the solution to that, of course, is to resize the images yourself, before uploading, and make sure you apply the correct sharpening techniiques AFTER they're sized properly. 1024xwhatever is too large for websites, try 800x600 instead, and resharpen after resizing... i'm guessing the results will be much better.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote