Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Norwegian coastline and seaside-rocks. A series:

Hi folks!

I have so many seaside-shots and coastal shots, that I'll start a series her, beginning with this lovely pice of rock and these magnificent clouds in the sky! October is such a great month for taking pictures, as the air is usually very crisp and clean, allowing for some strong colors.

BTW: This is a single shot and no HDR....!

Enjoy!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:59 PM   #2

Excellent work!! Tack sharp and I love those colors on those smooth rocks!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:03 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Hi folks!

I have so many seaside-shots and coastal shots, that I'll start a series her, beginning with this lovely pice of rock and these magnificent clouds in the sky! October is such a great month for taking pictures, as the air is usually very crisp and clean, allowing for some strong colors.

BTW: This is a single shot and no HDR....!

Enjoy!

Walter,

Extraordinary roc picture. Very smooth and may I add tangible. There are people who hug trees, would like to feel these rocks under the palms of my hands.

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:02 AM   #4

Default Seaside-rocks = Svaberg in Norwegian!

Thank you Bob and Torgny, for your kind words!

Yes, the shape and smootheness of those rocks stems mostly from the time of the Ice-Age, when heavy glaciers covered the whole of Scandinavia, and most of Europe, under hundreds of meters / yards of heavy ice. Since the ice, by nature, is always on the move, its abraisiveness (rocks and big boulders where contained within the ice) like big chisels, shaped those wonderful shapes. You can witness this specially good in this next picture.

Here is another one:

Who else but Mother Nature can make a sculpture like that?

Thank you for looking!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:48 AM   #5

May I ask what your aperture and speed were? Also if you used manual or autofocus and a tripod? Those are beautiful shots.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:02 PM   #6

Default There are EXIF-data behind both shots:

You only have to get them. Anyway the EXIF-data show that...

#1 had the following data:
A = F5.6
Exposure time = 1/400" and

#2 had the following data:

A = F5.6
Exposure time: 1/250"

I always use autofocus (unless they are night-shots) and I usually use a tripod when I plan to shoot for HDR's - but several of my best HDR's are, in fact handheld. PhotomatixPro is great at aligning exposures.

Bot, don't get me wrong - none of these shots here are HDR's.

Thank you for your comments!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
You only have to get them. Anyway the EXIF-data show that...

#1 had the following data:
A = F5.6
Exposure time = 1/400" and

#2 had the following data:

A = F5.6
Exposure time: 1/250"

I always use autofocus (unless they are night-shots) and I usually use a tripod when I plan to shoot for HDR's - but several of my best HDR's are, in fact handheld. PhotomatixPro is great at aligning exposures.

Bot, don't get me wrong - none of these shots here are HDR's.

Thank you for your comments!
Thanks a lot for the info. Thanks a lot for the EXIF data info, too -- I'll look it up for next time.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:22 AM   #8

Default #3

Clous, clouds, clouds... and a lobster-boat on the horizon. It's the season now.

Thank you for looking.

BTW, #1 was shown on local Television here yesterday, as part of a monthly photo-competition...

Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Default #4

Here comes #4

Thank you for beeing couriose enough to get so far!

Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:03 AM   #10

Default #5

This one is taken just about 50 yards from #4, going yonder and climbing down towards the sea.

Same area, but two different expressions.

And here we can witness the power of the sea and the harsh environment, specially during winter-time. Those once smooth rocks (like the one in #1) are gradually being broken up by the eternal pounding of the waves against rock and freezing temperatures, produce expanding ice and rock-busting in those cracks in the cold season. Gradually, the sea gobbels up landmass...

Thank you for coming this far with me - getting tired by now....?