Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:24 PM   #1

Default United Nations Building in New York

Forget about the UN being a forum for America-bashing for a minute , but what do you guys think of my HDR? It's by Dynamic Photo HDR. Controls are set to "ultra-contrast". I took the picture(s) at noon NY time (where else? ) today.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM. Reason: "Ultra-contrast", not "eye-catching" as I originally typed...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:29 PM   #2

Very nicely done. Really shows the ability of HDR. Not overdone IMO.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:37 PM   #3

Thanks a lot, Walter C -- I think I got lucky with the cloud formation.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:51 PM   #4

quite striking...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:53 PM   #5

Thanks, squirl033.

I downloaded three HDR trial versions and in the end, I have to admit what made me decide on Dynamic Photo HDR is the price.

But I like to think that it's because I will be using it to enhance my photographs, even single shots not bracketed ones, and not to make surreal landscape digital art that the more expensive ones are capable of doing.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:05 PM   #6

Nice shot there .. Noon is good lighting as long as the clouds allow...Similar buildings here in Seattle. I ll be going over there soon open house at the Art School...stopping in to talk with the Admin... and on over to a few other places making a day of it all worth my time.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Nice shot there .. Noon is good lighting as long as the clouds allow...Similar buildings here in Seattle. I ll be going over there soon open house at the Art School...stopping in to talk with the Admin... and on over to a few other places making a day of it all worth my time.
Thank you, SharpShotGal.

You're right about noon lighting -- I saw the sunrise this morning behind the UN building and decided to take some shots. It was against the sun so my autofocus won't even work. I tried manual but can't see what I'm shooting so they all came out out of focus.

Since I think we've strayed into skyscrapers-and-HDR, I thought I'd see what HDR can do to an old point-and-shoot picture I took of Chicago a few years ago:

Original:

HDR "utra-contrast":

This is from a single photo -- not three photos as normally done with HDR -- and I think HDR can still do wonders. A lot more detail can be seen on the water surface and the reflections on the dark-glass building foreground right-of-center are more visible.

Have fun with your photo shoot in Seattle! I've been there years ago and remember compared to Manhattan, the buildings in Seattle looked far more modern and futuristic that the Space Needle actually looked ancient . I wish I already did photography back then the city-lights-skyline would have been nice...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...This is from a single photo -- not three photos as normally done with HDR...
Hello, vvvarpio!

Interesting subject you brought up - HDR, which I like very much. Would you mind to eleborate on this single-exposure HDR? How you go about and how it's done? Do you copy this shot into 3 different copies and the render a HDR in PhotomatixPro? Does it have to be a RAW-file only?

Seems to be a handy technologie when faced with hazy pictures!

Regards!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9

Hi, Walter S! It's actually simpler than the process you mention. With Dynamic Photo HDR, I simply drag an image file into it.

I don't know how it does it -- maybe some simulation takes place to simulate 3 different exposures -- but it has a "Pseudo HDR" for processing a single JPG file. I'm then given 3 preset modes: "Ps (for pseudo) Eye-Catching", "Ps Ultra-Contrast", and "Ps Halo-Matrix". I like eye-catching and ultra-contrast the most, although I found halo-matrix better at one image file I tried.

I am just starting out with HDR so I don't yet understand what all the controls are. So far, I'm happy with the presets.

For true HDR, that is, for either 2-3 exposures (or more) or a single RAW file, Dynamic Photo HDR gives more presets.

After I tried my old Chicago pic, I tried other old pictures I took even years ago to see how HDR could improve them. And with each and everyone, dramatic improvements do occur! I'm going crazy right now feeding old pictures into HDR.

The trial version can be downloaded here: http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10

I've played a little with automated HDR software, but I've never really liked the final result. Always looks unnatural in some part of he photo. I find that I get best results by doing it manually using layers in Photoshop. That way I can get just the right amount of level, contrast and saturation control in exactly the parts of the photo that I want, using either 1 or more photos. Call me a control freak.
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote