Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1

Default My First Pier Shots

I took pictures of a pier on the Hudson River this morning. It's along the west side of Manhattan overlooking the State of New Jersey. It's Walter S' and Ordo's fault that I had to try taking pictures of, um, water-scapes. C&C welcome!

#1. Single shot HDR. I tried taking bracketed shots but the boat was wobbling pretty wildly.

#2. A piece of the Hudson overlooking the State of New Jersey.

#3. The Intrepid Museum. (I think my depth-of-field is too shallow.)

#4. Flight Control Tower of The Intrepid Museum.

#5. Bow of the Intrepid.

#6. Putting up the Christmas Tree. (I'm assuming it's a Christmas Tree...) I brightened up the floor some, darkened the sky some, and increased midtone on the tree to make the green color come out. I'm not sure if I achieved a good balance.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Looks good to me. Nice job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i like the perspective of #5. makes it look very imposing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:38 PM   #4

Thanks, Bynx. It always feels good to get a clean bill of health. (I hope that's not a bad analogy...)

Thanks, Hards80. I played around with Corel X2's lens distortion filter and below is what it came up with. I think it's not as imposing...

Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:46 AM   #5

What a great series, vvcarpio - next summer I'll be in NYC, so your photos make my anticipation(?) grow bigger and bigger

#5 is my favourite, the ship looks very impressive from this perspective.
#6 greatly conveys the feeling of a cold morning to me.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:02 AM   #6

vvcarpio!

I am honored that you blame me (amongst others) for taking these seascapes (or should I say: Riverscapes...).

About # 1: I could have told you that never, never, never, try to shoot for HDR when it comes to boats afloat. They alway move - even when you think they don't! The picture itself is nice. Great tonality-range.

# 2: I wonder what causes that H-shaped shadow seen dead-center, on those long buildings over at New Jejsy...?

# 3: Powerful perspective of a powerful ship.

# 4: Interesting crop and framing. I think of a song by Joan Baez "Where have all the flowers gone..." that would be apropriate her. (Old Hippi-fart!). Even if I usually don't like blurred forgrounds as part of DOP-issues, it kind of works here. I am also amazed there are is still blooming flowers in green grass about at this time of the year?

# 6: again, powerful perspective of a powerful and daunting ship.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
What a great series, vvcarpio - next summer I'll be in NYC, so your photos make my anticipation(?) grow bigger and bigger

#5 is my favourite, the ship looks very impressive from this perspective.
#6 greatly conveys the feeling of a cold morning to me.
Thanks, Maggo85!

I'm sure there are many walking-tour guides out on the Net but here are some from TimeOut:

http://newyork.timeout.com/search/ar...=Great%20walks

I have done the "Midtown Holiday Walk" (the first one in TimeOut's list because I think it hits many attractions) many times on my own because it's where I work .

I'd like to try the "Hell's Kitchen Walk" (Hell's Kitchen is where Sylvester "Rocky" Stallone grew up) and the "Woody Allen Walk" someday. Maybe one day I'll take a three-hour lunch break .

If you'd like to take a souvenir picture of the Manhattan Skyline you would have to do it from across a river -- across Hudson River on the New Jersey side or across East River on the New York side. My wife and I are planning on going either to Gantry Plaze State Park ("state park" is public property so is free) for the midtown NYC skyline or to Empire Fulton State Park for a dramatic shot of the Brooklyn Bridge with the downtown NYC skyline behind it.

I hope you have a great time in NYC next summer!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
vvcarpio!

I am honored that you blame me (amongst others) for taking these seascapes (or should I say: Riverscapes...).

About # 1: I could have told you that never, never, never, try to shoot for HDR when it comes to boats afloat. They alway move - even when you think they don't! The picture itself is nice. Great tonality-range.

# 2: I wonder what causes that H-shaped shadow seen dead-center, on those long buildings over at New Jejsy...?

# 3: Powerful perspective of a powerful ship.

# 4: Interesting crop and framing. I think of a song by Joan Baez "Where have all the flowers gone..." that would be apropriate her. (Old Hippi-fart!). Even if I usually don't like blurred forgrounds as part of DOP-issues, it kind of works here. I am also amazed there are is still blooming flowers in green grass about at this time of the year?

# 6: again, powerful perspective of a powerful and daunting ship.
I'll keep your advice about not doing HDR on a small boat. For that matter, it probably won't make sense to do HDR while on board a small boat either even if I have a sturdy tripod .

I was wondering, too, about the H-shaped shadow. I thought it might be from the ferry on the far right of the picture (I don't know if you can see it, it's too small) but looking at my bigger image file the ferry isn't illuminated by the sun at all. The shadow is also much too big for a ferry, or a Manhattan skyscraper for that matter. That's weird. But what's not weird is your photographer-eye noticing it .

I too was surprised about the flowers that I thought about doing closeup shots. Then I thought I have a lot of flower pictures already -- been there done that -- and it wasn't manly-man of me to be posting pictures of flowers (just kidding!) so I just continued taking pictures of the mighty Intrepid.

Hmm, regarding blurry foreground, I'm actually considering combining the two shots I made -- the one I posted and the other with sharp foreground and blurry Intrepid -- into one sharp photo...

Ah but I already spent too many hours in the office editing the pictures I took when I should be doing other work -- the ones I'm paid to do. Which makes me think sometimes this is where one photographer can rightfully claim he or she is "better" than another photographer. He or she simply has more "free" time in his or her hands when he or she should really be doing other work.

Seriously, thanks for all the input!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:03 AM. Reason: Oops -- misplaced "on board" in the sentence