Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Night-shooting exercise with new camera

I had some exercise during the night of December 2nd to go out and try my new camera for night-shots and low-light shooting.

It was bitter cold, temperature was down to minus 7 Centigrade and the frost was sparkling in the reflections of the street-lights and there was this icy-cold draft from the nearby river. Needless to say, I was not given the time to check out my motives well enough for composition.

All pictures taken with my Panasonic Lumix G1 and the 14-45mmm kit-lens. All in chronological order. One can see the sun coming up closer to the horizon as we progress. In picture #2 there were these 4 or 5 swans on the water. When I left after it was light, they struggled to get ashore, because the water around them froze up during the night. I really felt sorry for them.

Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:10 PM   #2

I like the results with your G1. I dont see any purple fringing and the colors look very natural. Its a good contrast in lighting. There are incandescent lights as well as the green toned street lamps. I have some money stashed away for a camera OR a new computer OR an electric bicycle. Your pics make me lean more towards the camera. Thanks Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:48 PM   #3

Wow! I really like that G1, amazing quality photos!!!! Like any tools, they are as good as the person using them and you are a excellent photographer!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:00 PM   #4

Looks like the G1 is a keeper for you, Walter. You're getting outstanding results!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:06 PM   #5

I enjoyed looking at them all, thanks for sharing.

ajuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:06 PM   #6

Walter, these are beautiful. I would praise the G-1, but I have a feeling you could do these with any camera...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:13 AM   #7

Wow, an absolutely great series, Walter! My favourite is #2 - I love the colours the upcoming sun mades, but all pics are amazing!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...I dont see any purple fringing...
Panasonic has the purple fringing well under control. I have shot almost 28.000 shots with my FZ-28 and I have probably seen approx. 10 cases of purple fringing alltogether in them. And I am shooting a lot into the sun / light (I like it...) with tree-branches backlighted, etc. etc.

If you want to see pf - get a Canon PowerShot - then you'll find plenty of pf....(I know I am treading into a wasps-nest now, but it's the truth!) I investigated the SX-1 before I chose the FZ-28 and pf was quite normal there....

I'm not sure if its the lens or the software or probable both but pf is no problem with Panasonic. Although when I was shooting some test-shots with my M Zuiko D 17mm Pancake-lens from Olympus on the G1, I saw traces of pf which I have never seen before. So it must be the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...some money stashed away for a camera OR a new computer OR an electric bicycle...
Instead of the electric bicycle you can buy a decent pair of shoes and walk. It's much healthier and cheaper as well.......

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 9, 2009 at 8:02 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:04 AM   #9

Thank you Bob, Gary, ajuett, Hawgwild and maggo85 for your ever so kind words.

Yes, its a nice camera and definitly a keeper!

Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:23 PM   #10

Would I be right or wrong in saying the quality of shots here would be on par with a 4x6 format film camera, even a Hasselblad? I cant remember ever seeing a 35mm camera of any kind producing shots as clear and pristine as these.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote