Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:22 PM   #51

Thank's maggo85 and Eetu. Glad somebody likes a tour to see old houses!

As for the 'special' light - this is something particular in the Scandinavian countries. Du to the rather high Latitudes (far north) the sun is very low on the horizon during the winter-monts, giving a special glow and look to pictures. Low sun gives low (and long...) shadows. All this gives a bit of a different athmosphere to the pictures.

Ned in Finland will know what I talk about, but for Markus and other people in Central Europe are not accustomed to this kind of light.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:51 PM   #52

Gotta keep up this thread, while its still winter. Have just one more night-shot to show. This time I tested Alasdair's (my son-in-law) Nikon D90 and the 18-105mm kit-zoom. He let me have it for 24 hours......

Unfortunately (unfamiliar as I am with the D90 and with a borrowed kamera in the dark) and unknow to me until I got home - I shot at ISO 1600 and the details are therafter....

# 28

Shame, really - as I wanted to test the low-light abilities of the D90..... ...on the other hand, this ISO 1600-shot is better than I would achive with my G1 at ISO 400....

Ah, well......

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:00 PM   #53

Default "The Yellow House"

A little later I switched to the Tokina 11-16 (also Alasdair's "baby"...) and had a go at some architectural shots.....

# 29 - "The Yellow House" - as I call it.
You must keep in mind that this house indeed is painted in a rather strong ochre-yellow color. The yellow is accentuated by the rising sun (you can just see its reflection in on of the windows there...), giving the whole scene a very colorfull and warm tone. This is really as I remember the color, so I have not increased the saturation.

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:08 PM   #54

Pushing the Tokina 11-16mm to it's limit, I wanted to see just how far I could go with exaggerated perspectives, so this coffe-cream-colored house stood model...

BTW, this is the same house as in # 27.

# 30 - It may not be the 'ultimate' architectural shot, but the Tokina 11-16mm really is a beauty (and a beast...!) of a lens! I really, really want one for myself, but cannot fit it on my G1...

...Stand by for more to come!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 4, 2010 at 1:17 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:22 PM   #55

[QUOTE=Walter_S;1060683]Gotta keep up this thread, while its still winter. Have just one more night-shot to show. This time I tested Alasdair's (my son-in-law) Nikon D90 and the 18-105mm kit-zoom. He let me have it for 24 hours......

Unfortunately (unfamiliar as I am with the D90 and with a borrowed kamera in the dark) and unknow to me until I got home - I shot at ISO 1600 and the details are therafter....

Still a great looking picture for the ISO, Walter. Thanks.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:24 PM   #56

You have perfect play of lights on the snow.... shade on the left... reflection of the sunset on the right. Gorgeous colours of the building. Good going! Thanks Walther!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:31 PM   #57
Super Moderator

i really like #30. the wide-angle perspective works well and you have some nice diminishing lines from the road and building, and good lighting. nice shot
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:05 PM   #58

hey you want to send that tonika my way?
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:18 PM   #59

Beautiful (again). You get outstanding creamy textures and perfect colors and framing: Walter_S trademark.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:22 PM   #60

A pleasure to join you on your trip around town. Almost like being there. Thanks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote