Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Photos in the mist

I'm not much of a landscape shooter but there had been mist all day so decided late afternoon to try to capture the feel of it.

Let me know what you think.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2

Mark,

Nice stuff. IMO, I think the first 3 would work better as pano crops - getting rid of some of the dead space at the top of the frames. Much like the last image where only a small portion of sky is included
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I rather think you did a good job with it as well.

#1 good layers, good tones, some nice lines. good photo, not the most interesting of the set for me, but nevertheless.

#2 i think has real great potential, you have some very nice layering effects going on and a good start for a minimalist black and white composition. i would give this a mono treatment, work on the tones a little bit. and i think i would actually cut a little deadspace off the bottom too. these minimalist type landscapes often look nice with a rather low positioned horizon (clearly breaking our rules of 1/3rds) deadspace can often be a good thing, so experiment with the aspect ratio a little bit.

#3, i actually like the deadspace at the top. i think it adds to the mood imparted by the mist. were given a frame, even digital, or presented on black on its own. i think this mood and the value of the deadspace would be even more evident. doesnt come through stacked within other pictures on a grey background.

#4 i like this one the way it is. good subdued tones, nice reflections. and the battered and worn boat is a good subject.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:29 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I'm not much of a landscape shooter but there had been mist all day so decided late afternoon to try to capture the feel of it.

Let me know what you think.

Mark

Mark,

Yes, you are, to me anyhow, remembering your landscape pictures with the Panasonic TZ5.

These pictures have an obvious "photo quality" to them and they sure communicate the "feel" (or "mode")

The first one immediately surprised me with it's Japanese or Zen accent. At first I thought that there were "misty" reflections of the houses in a water surface covered by mist

Then I noticed that there was perhaps a second layer of mist and that the the houses above rose above the mist layers.

Anyhow a remarkable picture

Misty or for that matter, rainy conditions, lend themself to great photo opportunities, I think. They are also "forgiving" in the sense that you obviously don't have to deal with high contrasts

Great

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:59 PM   #5
spy

If your not much of one, I wouldn't know. You did very well with these as they're clean, sharp, no blown highlights.....The sail boat one is my choice followed by #2.

Keep it up Mark!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:53 PM   #6

Outstanding work Mark!! #s 1 an 3 are my favorites, the sailboat photo is fantastic!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:16 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

I thought the 3rd would be one to split people. Personally I like the space and can imagine this on my wall.

It was nice just to shoot for the fun of shooting, trying something different so I will force myself to get out more often.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:58 AM   #8

Great job on all of them. Hope you continue to shot landscapes for fun
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:23 PM   #9

Beautiful pics, Mark - my favourite is #3 because of the dead space, that gives the pic something special

But all of them are great - please, show us some more of your just-for-fun-landscapes
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote